For members


Reader question: Does France do ‘golden visas’?

Many countries have a 'golden visa' option for people with a bit of money to sort out their residency status, but what is the situation in France?

Reader question: Does France do 'golden visas'?
Photo: Lionel Bonaventure / AFP)

Question: Looking at the different French visas I don’t see the option, as some countries have, to get a visa through investment in a business or property – does this exist in France?

A so-called ‘Golden Visa’ is a programme for wealthy foreign nationals who want to acquire residency in a certain country by investing a substantial amount of money, or by purchasing a property.

In February, the European Parliament called for the phasing out of citizenship by investment programmes operated by some EU countries and for EU-wide regulation on the ‘golden visas’ offered to wealthy individuals. 

According to, 11 EU countries offer Golden Visas – which allow high-wealth individuals the right to stay in a country for an extended period, upon the investment of several hundred thousand euros. It’s sometimes regarded as a stepping stone to full citizenship.

France is not one of them. 

Instead, it offers a four-year work visa to people who can demonstrate certain business, creative or academic skills, or who have a provable reputation in their field – known as a passeport talent (talent passport).

This is not limited to research scientists or mega-rich business leaders. Equally, it must be noted, it’s not a free-for-all. There are several categories, and some are harder to qualify for than others.

Businesses can use the passeport talent to bring non-EU employees to France, but the programme does not require a holder to have a job waiting for them. 

Individuals can, for example, look for work or set up their own business after they arrive in the country. It also allows the holder’s immediate family to live in France.

You can be a qualified or highly qualified paid employee of:

  •  a ‘young innovative company’;
  • a company in the same group as the company you currently work for;
  • a public or private research institute or higher education organisation.


A self-employed person or engaged in a liberal profession planning to:

  • create a business or take one over;
  • make a direct economic investment;
  • engage in an innovative economic project recognised by a public body;
  • take up a corporate appointment in a French company.

The list of occupations classed as a ‘liberal profession’ is quite long and includes lawyers, physiotherapists, doctors, writers, editors, sports professionals – find the full list here.


Are able to prove your national or international reputation and plan to:

  • engage in an activity in France linked to your national or international reputation


A performer or have created a literary or artistic work and:

  • plan to come to France for employment or self-employment

There’s a lot of paperwork, and the requirements for most categories are strict.

For example, people applying under the investor category must take an active role in the business in which they are investing, so it’s more involved than simply stumping up a few hundred thousand euro, or – as is possible in some EU countries – buying an expensive property.

Those planning on setting up a new business must invest a minimum of €30,000 in it, and must hold a degree at least equivalent to a master’s degree or be able to prove a minimum five years of professional experience at a comparable level.

Financial records and business plans will be required as part of the application process. And applicants must be able to demonstrate that they would not be an immediate drain on the state – so there’s no applying for one and then promptly trying to claim French unemployment benefits.

For more information and to start the application process, click HERE

READ ALSO EXPLAINED: How to apply for a visa to France

The above all relates to the right to live in France, but doesn’t make you a French citizen.

The process for taking French citizenship is based on either being born in France, living here for a certain period of time or being married to a French national. Having lots of money makes no difference to your citizenship application, although you will be able to afford to hire someone to help you with the paperwork.

READ ALSO Am I eligible for citizenship in France?

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Phone bills, English-language films and Covid tests – 6 essential articles for life in France

From advice for non-EU citizens on how to avoid racking up massive phone charges in France to finding undubbed films and learning more about France's fiercest local rivalries, here are some must-read articles for life in France.

Phone bills, English-language films and Covid tests - 6 essential articles for life in France

Travelling without access to the internet is almost impossible these days. We use our phones for mapping applications, contacting the Airbnb, even scanning the QR code for the restaurant menu.

If you have a phone registered in an EU country you don’t need to worry, thanks to the EU’s cap on charges for people travelling, but everyone else needs to be careful with their phone use abroad. Here’s what you need to know.

How to avoid huge ‘roaming’ phone bills while visiting France

Speaking of travel … the virus that should not be named hasn’t gone away. Here are your questions answered on testing, isolation and medical treatment if you fall sick while on holiday.

Paxlovid, tests and isolation: Covid care for tourists in France

Going to the cinema is one of life’s joys for many people – and France, the home of Cannes, is well known as a nation of cinephiles.

But what if you want to enjoy an overseas film with its original language soundtrack rather than one that has been dubbed into French? You can do that…

Reader question: Can you avoid seeing a dubbed movie in French cinemas?

The risk of tsunamis in the Mediterranean Sea is real – on October 16th, 1979, a tsunami, caused by a landslide, hit the coast of Nice and killed a dozen people. More recently, the Greek island of Samos in the Aegean Sea was hit by a tsunami in 2020.

But the climate crisis and rising sea levels mean that experts fear they will no longer be rare events along the Mediterranean coast in the next 30 years.

French riviera: Unesco tsunami warning for Marseille and Cannes

In very much related environmental news, France has endured at least 43 heat waves have been detected since 1947, but they are becoming more alarming – with the latest one, before all the storms, breaking temperature records all over the place.

So, here is how the country plans to change the landscape of its cities in order to cope with ever-increasing canicules.

Trees to trams: How French cities are adapting to summer heatwaves

And finally … From football to breakfast pastries, France contains some fierce local rivalries which are mostly fought through words and gastronomy, but occasionally spill over into physical battles. Here’s a look at what near neighbours in France love to hate about each other.

Cassoulet to cider: Where are France’s fiercest local rivalries?