- 13 English tech terms France wants outlawed
- OPINION: France's fight against new English words is 'totally stupid'
- The French language is in 'mortal danger', say its own panicked guardians
Photo: Toni Blay/Flickr
The letter states that it is up to Macron to “interrupt the suicidal march” towards making English the second official language of France.
Macron is known for speaking fluent English and has given speeches, and interviews to the foreign press in English.
This sets him apart from his predecessors. For example Francois Hollande, who was mocked in 2012 when he wrote to US President Barack Obama to congratulate him on his re-election and signed off with the words, “Friendly, Francois Hollande.
Meanwhile the French language guardians have been fighting a long-running battle to rid France of the influx of English words, especially in the realm of technology, although this has been hard and, some would argue, futile.
- 17 French words we've stolen and reinvented in English
- English words the French simply can't say
- Fish and Ships: 15 of the most bizarre French – English translations