Members make The Local.
Join our 50,000 supporters.
The Local provides independent news and essential information across Europe The Local provides independent news and essential information across EuropeBecome a member
This site is owned, managed and published by The Local Europe AB (corporate registration number SE556667-4023), VAT number SE556667402301, Västmannagatan 43, 113 25 Stockholm, Sweden, (hereinafter referred to as “THE LOCAL”).
The company’s registered address in France is: 59 Rue des Petits Champs, 75001 Paris, France.
The company’s share capital is: 6 522 000 SEK (Swedish kronor)
Director of Publication: James Savage, CEO.
SIREN: 790 766 208
Telephone number (head office): +46 708 593 346
Telephone number (France): +33 6 52 95 35 29.
Hosting provider: Google Cloud
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully. By using the site and/or becoming a member you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
THE LOCAL provides a digital service to website visitors. Visitors of THE LOCAL website or mobile applications can purchase a membership which provides access to these digital services as described in the individual memberships descriptions and agreements.
The digital services offered by THE LOCAL include but are not limited to:
- Web and mobile application pages with the latest news and other information
- Podcasts hosted by THE LOCAL or other contracted providers
- Newsletters sent to users via email
Registration forms and personal data
By completing and submitting the registration form on this site you will be able to participate in digital services provided by THE LOCAL. By doing so, you will be providing THE LOCAL with certain data. THE LOCAL collects and uses two types of data: (1) Personal Data – (names and addresses etc) via which it is possible to identify an individual from that information; and (2) Aggregated Data – being all other information that relates purely to generic statistics such as traffic flow and demographics.
THE LOCAL will only collect, use and transfer Personal Data about you if you have consented to that collection, use and transfer, unless THE LOCAL believes that such action is necessary to (a) conform to legal requirements (b) protect and defend its rights or property (c) enforce this User Agreement or (d) act to protect the interests of its users or others.
You give your consent in the following way:
By completing and submitting the Registration Form you automatically consent to THE LOCAL:
- Collecting the information that is on the Registration Form, and information about your movements around and use of this site and other THE LOCAL owned or managed sites, for the purposes described below.
- Contacting you with relevant material, for example about your use or potential use of this site and/or mobile applications.
- Transferring your Personal Data to other companies controlled by or affiliated with THE LOCAL(subsidiaries or affiliates), and to those THE LOCAL companies contacting you with other relevant material, for example about your use or potential use of this site or other THE LOCAL owned or managed sites or mobile applications.
- Transferring your Personal Data to any data processors that THE LOCAL has nominated to act as its agent for any of the above activities. The data will always remain under the control and direction of THE LOCAL.
- Transferring your Personal Data to any country in which a THE LOCAL server is located for the purpose of providing you the sites and services within THE LOCAL’s network and for conducting the above activities.
You can unsubscribe from any of these services at any time by emailing THE LOCAL at [email protected].
Other non-personal information will be collected and used by THE LOCAL and may be transferred to third parties. Any such statistical or demographic information will not include personal details through which you could be identified. In addition to non-personal information given on your Registration Form, information is automatically collected about traffic around the site. This is also only used in aggregate form and no individual registered user will be identified.
THE LOCAL does not guarantee the normal functioning of the website or any other digital service provided by THE LOCAL if cookies are blocked or limited in any way on the user's browser.
Security is paramount to THE LOCAL in respect of your data. We use a variety of software to ensure appropriate security and encryption. You are obligated to keep your password and other non-public user data secret. You are responsible for all unauthoriszed use of you account to the extent you have failed to keep the information of your account secret.
Intellectual property rights in the content of the site
THE LOCAL’s content
All material on the site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, and software, is owned by THE LOCAL or is published on licence from third parties, and is protected by copyright and trademark laws. You may not copy, modify, reproduce, republish, post, transmit or distribute in any way any material from this site including the underlying code and software, save as authorised by this agreement. You are only authorised to use the site and its contents for your personal, non–commercial use. This amounts to viewing the site and printing off individual pages or sections for personal use.
Any content provided by you by, for example, posting messages to bulletin boards or chat forums, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service, although owned by you, is subject to a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, world-wide licence allowing THE LOCAL to use, copy, sublicense, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content. This licence does not apply to the message content of your personal messaging (PM) account, the privacy and integrity of which will be respected at all times.
THE LOCAL’s obligations
THE LOCAL will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure that the site, mobile applications and other digital services provided thereon (including newsletters, personal email and chat forums, member account) is/are available at all times and that THE LOCAL supplied content on the site is true, accurate and error free. However we do not guarantee this and provide no warranties unless specifically stated.
Code of conduct
You are entirely responsible for the material or content that you publish or display or in any other way make available on or through any of the Services or in any other way transmitted to other Users. Material or content are not automatically reviewed by THE LOCAL before posted and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of THE LOCAL. THE LOCAL is not responsible for the accuracy and reliability of the material or content or other information provided by the users or any other information that you transmit to other users.
The list below is a partial list of the kind of Contents that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through the Services and the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Website and through your use of the Services. Note that the list can not be made complete but should be regarded as a guideline to the spirit of what is prohibited. THE LOCAL reserves the right to inspect and take appropriate legal action against anyone who infringes this prohibition, including but is not limited to, removing the offending material or content from the Services, terminating the membership of the violator and reporting to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Prohibited material or content include, but are not limited to material or content that:
- are offensive and promote racism, prejudice, hatred or physical harm against any individual or group;
- exploit people in a sexual or violent manner;
- display pornographic, sexually explicit or violent material of any kind;
- harasses or encourage harassment of another individual or group;
- criminal activity such as drug dealing, trafficking, child pornography, fraud, obscene material, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, sending of harmful computer files, theft of trade secrets or intrusion of copyright or patent rights;
- provides any street addresses, photograph of another person, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or any other personal information of that kind without consent from that individual;
- use any information from the Services in order to stalk, harass, abuse or harm another person;
- promote information that you know is deceptive or phoney or promote illegal activities or conduct that is insulting, obscene, threatening, derogatory or slanderous;
- provide instructional information about illegal activities such as making or buying illegal weapons or fireworks or creating or distributing computer viruses, etc;
- promote an illegal or unauthorised copy of another person’s or company’s copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to such, providing information to evade copy-protect devices, or providing pirated music or video or links to pirated music- or video files;
- contain restricted or password only access pages not linked to from another accessible page or hidden pages or images;
- ask for passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other users;
- involve commercial activities and/or sales without our prior consent such as advertising, contests, barter, sweepstakes, or pyramid schemes;
- involve the transmission of junk mail, chain letters, or unsolicited mass mailing or spamming etc;
- filmmaker or band profiles that uses sexually suggestive imagery or any other unjust, false or deceiving material or content intended to draw traffic to the profile;
- contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell contents or services to a specific user without their prior explicit consent;
- covering or concealing the banner advertisements on your personal profile page or any other THE LOCAL page;
- contain political or religious propaganda;
- any automated use of the Service, such as using scripts to add friends;
- interfering with, disrupting or creating an undue burden on the Services or the networks or services connected to the Services;
- pretending to be another user or person;
- using the account of another user or disclosing or transferring your password to any third party or allowing any third party to have access to your account; or using the Services in a way that intentionally or unintentionally violates any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
Proprietary rights in contents
By displaying or publishing any material or content such as texts, files, messages, photos, video, images, sounds, profiles, works of authorship or any other materials (“Contents”) on or through the services provided by THE LOCAL, you grant to THE LOCAL a fully-paid, non-exclusive, and royalty-free), worldwide license to use, modify copy, translate, adapt, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, reproduce, store and distribute such Contents on and through the Services or in media that are partners to THE LOCAL. This license will come to an end at the time you remove such Contents from the Services and upon your notification to THE LOCAL. Regardless of this, a residual or back-up copy of the Contents posted may remain on the servers after you have removed the Contents from the Services, and THE LOCAL maintains the rights to those copies. You warrant and represent that you own the Contents posted by you or otherwise have the right to grant the above described license. Furthermore, you warrant and represent that the posting of your Contents on or through the Services does not violate the copyrights, publicity rights, contract rights, privacy rights or any other rights of any person or company. You agree to pay for all fees, royalties and any other duty owed to any person or company by reason of any Contents posted by you to or through the Services.
The Services contain Contents of THE LOCAL which are protected by intellectual property right laws and regulations and other laws. THE LOCAL owns and maintains all rights in the Contents and the Services. THE LOCAL hereby grants you a revocable, limited, non sub-licensable license to display and reproduce THE LOCAL Contents exclusively for your personal use in connection with using the Services and viewing the Website. Such a license does not include any software code or other similar Contents.
The Services contain Contents from Users Members and other THE LOCAL licensors. You are prohibited to copy, display, publish, distribute, broadcast or in any other way forward or sell any Contents appearing on or through the Services if the Contents is not provided by you.
THE LOCAL’s rights
THE LOCAL shall be entitled to discontinue any digital service offered at any time with or without notice. Website users will not be entitled to any refund or compensation and forfeit any membership fee already paid.
A membership at The Local is a digital service that can be offered in different forms. This includes:
- Digital access to one or more service provided by THE LOCAL and made available to the customer immediately after purchase is made
- Access to a podcast service that is made available to the customer immediately after the premium podcast service is activated
Unless otherwise specified at the time of purchase, all memberships purchased through THE LOCAL will be an ongoing recurring subscription. The customer is billed at the beginning of each billing period until the subscription is cancelled by the customer or terminated by THE LOCAL.
Types of membership
Visitors to THE LOCAL can purchase one of the following types of membership, including but not limited to the following conditions:
- Basic plan: Visitors purchasing this type of subscription will have access ONLY to the edition they have purchased the subscription through via web and app. This type of membership includes banner advertising and does NOT include premium podcasts
- Premium: Visitors purchasing this type of subscription will have access to all editions of THE LOCAL via web and app. This type of membership does NOT include premium podcasts
- Membership+: Visitors purchasing this type of subscription will have access to all editions of THE LOCAL via web and app. This type of membership includes access to premium podcasts
Additional membership conditions will be included at the time of purchase.
- You can pay for your membership using the Payment Method made available at the time of purchase. If your payment is unsuccessful by reason of insufficient funds, expiration, or otherwise, you remain responsible for any uncollected amount
- By placing an order for a membership, you authorise The Local to charge you the subscription fee then in effect at the beginning of each Billing Period to your Payment Method. If your Payment Method is declined for a recurring payment of your subscription fee, provide us a new Payment Method promptly or your subscription will be cancelled
- Some memberships at THE LOCAL can be offered to the customer with an introductory offer. Each promotion will have specific terms governing that promotion but in general introductory offers are only available to new members unless otherwise specified
- We reserve the right to change membership fees at any time. We will notify you by email in advance if the regular fee for your subscription changes from what was stated at the time of your initial order. You will have an opportunity to cancel your subscription. If you do not cancel your subscription, you will be charged the new subscription fee at your next Billing Period
- We will charge the subscription fee at the commencement of your membership, and then automatically at the start of each recurring Billing Period thereafter unless and until your subscription is cancelled
- If you make your membership purchase through the Apple App Store, you enter into an agreement with Apple and we refer to their terms of purchase.
- If you make your membership purchase through Google Play, you enter into an agreement with Google and we refer to their terms of purchase.
- Note that parts of these Terms and Conditions therefore do not apply if purchases have been made through Apple Store or Google Play.
Cancellation of service
- To cancel a recurring subscription at THE LOCAL you can switch off the “auto-renew” feature in the My Account section on THE LOCAL website or contact us at [email protected] requesting cancellation
- Cancellation must be made before the next beginning of the next Billing Period
- There will be no refunds or credits issued for a partially used Billing Period
- If the customer chooses to “Cancel” their membership access will expire immediately
- If the customer chooses to switch off the “Auto-renew” feature their membership access will expire at the end of the current Billing Period
Right of withdrawal
THE LOCAL is a digital service which is exempt from the Right of withdrawal framework. More information can be found here.
Disclaimer / liability
Use of the site and the facilities thereon, and any material or information obtained from this site (all of which is provided free of charge) is at your own risk, and THE LOCAL hereby expressly disclaims, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, all warranties, express or implied, of any kind whatsoever including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and infringement. In addition, THE LOCAL shall not be responsible for the failure of performance of this site and/or the software used thereon or obtained therefrom; the loss of data or services resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruption; the accuracy, quality or nature of information obtained through its services; nor the consequences arising from or related to any viruses transmitted through its servers, or any liability, costs, loss of profits or consequential losses arising from your use of, or inability to access this site, save that liability for death or personal injury is not excluded.
In relation to User Content THE LOCAL shall not be responsible for any such content posted by users in chat rooms or other community areas. All such content whether expressed as opinions, statements or recommendations, are those of users expressing such views and are not those of THE LOCAL.
This site may be linked to or from other sites that are not maintained by THE LOCAL. THE LOCAL does not control in any respect any information, products or services offered by such other sites and shall NOT be responsible for the content of such other sites. For example, users may be able to buy goods and services via the site, some of which may be through third party retailers who link to the site. Users may also enter into correspondence with or participate in promotions of advertisers on the Site. THE LOCAL in no way endorses these third parties and any such transactions, dealings, correspondence with or participation in promotions of, third parties, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such matters are solely between the corresponding user and the third party. THE LOCAL assumes no liability, obligation or responsibility for any part of any such transaction, dealing, correspondence or participation.
You agree to indemnify THE LOCAL in respect of any liability or any costs, loss of profits, loss of data, or consequential losses arising from a breach by you of any of the terms of this agreement.
Changes to the terms and conditions
THE LOCAL reserves the right to change or modify any or all of these terms and conditions at any time and will publish notifications of these changes in our sole discretion..
By continuing to access THE LOCAL websites after these modifications have been published, you signify your agreement to be bound by them. You are expected to check this page from time to time so you are aware of any changes, as they are binding on you.
This User Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Sweden, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Swedish Courts.
If any provision(s) of the User Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, then such provision(s) shall be construed, as nearly as possible, to reflect the intentions of the parties with the other provisions remaining in full force and effect.
THE LOCAL’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the User Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision unless acknowledged and agreed to by THE LOCAL in writing.