France extends post-Brexit residency deadline

The French government has confirmed that the deadline to apply for residency for British nationals has been extended.

France extends post-Brexit residency deadline
Photo: AFP

All Brits who were living in France before December 30th 2020 need to apply for a residency permit known as a carte de séjour – and the official deadline to do so was Wednesday, June 30th.

However with an estimated 25,000 Brits still to apply and many thousands more still waiting for their application to be processed, pressure has been growing on French authorities to extend the deadline.

On Thursday the Interior Ministry confirmed to The Local that the deadline has been extended for three months – until September 30th, 2021. 

A spokesman said: “I can confirm that the deadline for applications for Withdrawal Agreement cartes de séjour has been extended until September 30th, 2021.

“This extension concerns the whole of France.

“During the extension period, applications for residency can continue to be submitted on the online portal.”

The confirmation comes after the Côtes d’Armor département of Brittany announced on its website that the deadline had been pushed back.

The website adds: “Due to the very high demand and new health restrictions, we ask you to be patient as your application is processed.”

READ ALSO What happens to Brits in France who miss the residency deadline?

The postponement gives a little breathing room, but Brits living in France still need to get their residency applications in without delay.

This applies to all British nationals who were living in France pre 2021 – even those who have been living here a long time, are married or pacséd with a French or other EU national or who already had a European carte de séjour.

It also applies to non-European family members of British people who are here on spouse or family-member visas.

You can find out more about who needs to apply, and how to go about it HERE.

And if you are struggling with the paperwork, head to our Dealing with Brexit section, or find a list HERE of organisations who will offer help with the process, free of charge. 

Member comments

      1. Yes it is. How much time do these people want? Oh and by the way, I’m French, enough help and my tax has been spent on this Brexit project already.

        1. I think you’ll find that 5 times as many French are being accommodated in UK as English in France. UK also paid all EU costs associated with Brexit as part of the Withdrawal Agreement

          1. What has the amount of French in the UK got to do with it, the article is about les gammon living in France.

          2. Please don’t stereotype all of us – most Brits in the UK are hardworking young professionals. Gammons are mostly in Spain and Portugal.

    1. According to the British Embassy this evening (24/7/2021) the deadline remains the same and there has been a mis-communication between the Interior Ministry and other media. PLEASE do not rely on an extension!

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


French government clarifies post-Brexit rules on pets for second-home owners

Brexit hasn't just brought about changes in passport rules for humans, pets are also affected and now the French government has laid out the rules for pet passports for British second-home owners.

French government clarifies post-Brexit rules on pets for second-home owners

Pre-Brexit, people travelling between France and the UK could obtain an EU Pet Passport for their car, dog or ferret which ensured a hassle-free transport experience.

But since the UK left the EU things have become more complicated – and a lot more expensive – for UK residents wanting to travel to France with pets.

You can find a full breakdown of the new rules HERE, but the main difference for people living in the UK is that that they now need an Animal Health Certificate for travel.

Unlike the Pet Passport, a new ACH is required for each trip and vets charge around £100 (€118) for the certificate. So for people making multiple trips a year, especially those who have more than one pet, the charges can quickly mount up.

UK nationals who live in France can still benefit from the EU Pet Passport, but until now the situation for second-home owners has been a little unclear.

However the French Agriculture ministry has now published updated information on its website.

The rules state: “The veterinarian can only issue a French passport to an animal holding a UK/EU passport issued before January 1st, 2021, after verifying that the animal’s identification number has been registered in the Fichier national d’identification des carnivores domestiques (I-CAD).”

I-CAD is the national database that all residents of France must register their pets in – find full details HERE.

The ministry’s advice continues: “If not registered, the veterinarian may proceed to register the animal in I-CAD, if the animal’s stay in France is longer than 3 consecutive months, in accordance with Article 22 of the AM of August 1st, 2012 on the identification of domestic carnivores.”

So if you are staying in France for longer than 90 days (which usually requires a visa for humans) your pet can be registered and get a Pet Passport, but those staying less than three months at a time will have to continue to use the AHC.

The confusion had arisen for second-home owners because previously some vets had been happy to issue the Passport using proof of a French address, such as utility bills. The Ministry’s ruling, however, makes it clear that this is not allowed.

So here’s a full breakdown of the rules;

Living in France

If you are living in France full time your pet is entitled to an EU Pet Passport regardless of your nationality (which means your pet has more travel rights than you do. Although they probably still rely on you to drive the car/book the ferry tickets).

Your cat, dog or ferret must be fully up to date with their vaccinations and must be registered in the national pet database I-CAD (full details here).

Once issued, the EU Pet Passport is valid for the length of the animal’s life, although you must be sure to keep up with their rabies vaccinations. Vets in France usually charge between €50-€100 for a consultation and completing the Passport paperwork.

Living in the UK

If you are living in the UK and travelling to France (or the rest of the EU) you will need an Animal Health Certificate for your cat, dog or ferret.

The vaccination requirements are the same as for the EU Pet Passport, but an ACH is valid for only 10 days after issue for entry to the EU (and then for four months for onward travel within the EU).

So if you’re making multiple trips in a year you will need a new certificate each time.

UK vets charge around £100 (€118) for a certificate, although prices vary between practices. Veterinary associations in the UK are also warning of delays in issuing certificates as many people begin travelling again after the pandemic (often with new pets bought during lockdown), so you will need to book in advance. 

Second-home owners

Although previously some French vets had been happy to issue certificates with only proof of an address in France, the French government has now clarified the rules on this, requiring that pets be registered within the French domestic registry in order to get an EU Pet Passport.

This can only be done if the pet is staying in France for more than three months. The three months must be consecutive, not over the course of a year.

UK pets’ owners will normally require a visa if they want to stay in France for more than three months at a time (unless they have dual nationality with an EU country) – find full details on the rules for people HERE.