For members


MAP: Where in France has the highest burglary rates?

France has released its annual crime statistics which show that although the chance of being burgled has not risen, there is a big variation between different parts of the country.

MAP: Where in France has the highest burglary rates?
Photo: AFP

The figures come from crimes reported to the police and in total 233,100 reports of dwelling burglaries were filed with French police in 2019, according to the latest Insécurite et Délinquance crime report.

Overall the number of burglaries was largely unchanged from 2018, which saw a sharp fall on previous years and confirms a continued downward or stable trend for most types of crime in France.

READ ALSO How to avoid being burgled in France (and what to do if you are)

The effects of the March and April lockdown are not seen in these figures, which reflect only 2019.

Overall the chance of being burgled in France is still fairly small, with 4.9 victims per 1,000 inhabitants, but the figures do show regional variation.

The data is expressed as burglaries per 1,000 dwellings, but even within this there is a clear trend towards the big cities seeing more crime, particularly Paris, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille and Lyon.

France's most sparsely-populated départements – Creuse, Corrèze, Cantal and Lozère – show the lowest rates of burglary.

The map below shows a breakdown by département, but on a regional level the greater Paris region of Île-de-France saw the highest level of burglaries, with 8.7 per 1,000 dwellings.

The safest region for householders is the island of Corsica, which saw just 1.6 burglaries for every 1,000 homes.


The figures also show the nationalities of both victims and people charged with burglary.

Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of both are French, but in the 'non French European' category you are more likely to be a burglar (11 percent of those charged were European but not French) than a victim of burglary – five percent of victims were European against a total population of three percent.

Reports of dwelling burglaries peaked in France in 2013 and again in 2017 but have since fallen.

For the full crime data report, click here.


Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


French police bust cross-Channel people-smuggling ring

French police have busted a major people-smuggling ring that has been sending migrants to Britain in dinghies, with more than a dozen boats and 700 life jackets seized in a raid, French authorities said Thursday.

French police bust cross-Channel people-smuggling ring

The ring was run by Iraqi Kurdish migrants and had a logistics hub in Lille, a northern French city about 100 kilmetres (60 miles) from the northern Channel beaches around Calais that are used for crossings.

Three Iraqi men have been charged, along with three French suspects after their arrest on Monday.

Police discovered “a real factory supplying nautical equipment” in Lille, the head of French anti-migration agency Ocriest, Xavier Delrieu, told AFP.

In what was their biggest ever seizure of equipment, they found 13 inflatable boats, 14 outboard engines, 700 life jackets, 100 pumps and 700 litres of fuel, Delrieu said.

The group is suspected of having organised 80 Channel crossings over the summer, of which 50 succeeded, with the smugglers netting around €80,000 for each one.

The arrests came due to intelligence-sharing between authorities in Belgium, Britain, Germany and the Netherlands, who are all trying to crack down on migrants crossing the Channel by boat.

The original tip-off came after a border guard control discovered a group of French youths carrying inflatables from Germany into the Netherlands.

More migrants have crossed the Channel to the UK from northern France so far this year than in the whole of 2021.

So far this year, more than 30,000 people have been detected crossing the Channel to the UK, fresh government figures showed Thursday. On Wednesday alone, the authorities detected another 667 people.

Britain’s new prime minister, Liz Truss, has faced some criticism from other Conservatives and in right-wing media outlets for not pressing for more French action against the crossings when she met President Emmanuel Macron in New York on Tuesday.

Downing Street said the issue did not come up at their talks on the margins of the UN General Assembly, which instead focused on common ground including Ukraine and energy security.

The crossings are among a host of issues that have badly strained Franco-British relations in recent years.