France offers grants of up to €300 to help pay rent or mortgages this summer

Tenants and first-time homeowners in France can apply for up to €300 to help pay rent or mortgages this summer.

France offers grants of up to €300 to help pay rent or mortgages this summer

The grant scheme is set up by Action Logement, a French group controlled by businesses and unions, which aims to help people in France get into the housing market, and supported by the French government.

The idea is to avoid a situation where people in France who saw their incomes reduced due to the coronavirus health crisis cannot meet their rent or mortgage payments. 

France has already extended the trêve hivernale (winter truce), which prohibits landlords from expelling tenants who failed to pay rent, until July 10th. 

But even with the other schemes set up by the government to help people through the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus, the fear is that many people will struggle to pay their bills this summer.

Coronavirus crisis in France: The battle to save the livelihoods of the self-employed

Who can access it?

Only people whose primary residence is in France and who work in either the private or agricultural sector can access the help. That means public sector employees are not eligible for the scheme.

Only one person per household can access the help scheme, and their net income needs to be less than 1.5 times the minimum wage a month – the SMIC (minimum wage) is currently €1,219 for over 18s so this works out at €1,828.50.

Both tenants and first-time homeowners may qualify for this help, provided they meet the income requirements AND they found themselves in one of the following situations between April 2020 and the end of the health emergency (this date has not yet been set by the French government);

  • They lost their job (this includes people on fixed term CDD contracts who did not get their contract renewed and people on intérim (temporary) placements who saw their job suspended, as well as people on permanent CDI contracts who were laid off)

  • They saw their income reduced by 15 percent (for example because they were put on the government's partial unemployment scheme or because they had to take time off work due to childcare)

  • Utility bills represent at least 40 percent of their monthly income

To access the help, you need:

  • An ID

  • A salary slip for February 2020

  • Proof that you saw a salary decrease of 15 percent or more

  • Your RIB (bank details)

  • A rent receipt if you are a tenant 

  • Or, for first-time homeowners, a bank account statement mentioning the monthly payment of the mortgage, for the month of the income drop.

If you tick all the necessary boxes, you will get up to €300 (maximum €150 per month over two months maximum) once your application has been processed.

You can access the application on the Action Logement website (the form will be made accessible on July 30th).

The application needs to be filled sent in in the three months following first revenue decrease.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Property tax, water rationing and visa tips: 6 essential articles for life in France

This week’s must-reads from the Local include a piece on new rules for property owners, measures to reduce water consumption, tips for Brits applying for post-Brexit visas, plus food labels, comics and holidays.

Property tax, water rationing and visa tips: 6 essential articles for life in France

In 2023 there is an additional requirement for anyone who owns property in France – they must fill in a one-off Déclaration d’occupation, stating whether their property is their main residence or a second home. From the rules for non-residents to second-home owners, we answer your questions…

New French property tax declaration – your questions answered

France’s environment minister Christophe Béchu has announced a series of measures to reduce French people’s water consumption, as the country grapples with rising temperatures and more frequent droughts.

So what’s in store and how could you be affected?

Water limits, apps and leaks: How France plans to deal with future droughts

Now that Britain is out of the EU, just how much harder is the process of moving to France from the UK after Brexit? We asked our British readers to share their tips for applying for visas as ‘third country nationals’ – here’s what they said;

‘Be ready to wait’: Your tips for getting a French visa post-Brexit

From home-made to made in France, organic to artisan, AOP to Red Label – French food and drink products have a bewildering array of different labels and quality marks – here’s what they all mean.

Bio, artisan and red label: What do French food and drink labels really mean?

One in four books sold in France is a ‘bande-dessinée‘ (comic book), The Local explores France’s enduring love affair with this art form.

Bande dessinée: Why do the French love comic books so much?

And finally, a question we all need to know the answer to, if only so we know when the shops are likely to be shut. You would think it would be a simple question – but the answer depends on the year, the region and your job. We explain.

Reader question: How many public holidays does France have?