France's news in English

Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Forecast: When is summer (finally) going to arrive in France?

Share this article

Forecast: When is summer (finally) going to arrive in France?
File photo: AFP
09:37 CEST+02:00
As June continues along its chilly, gloomy path, many in France have been wondering when the summer sunshine will finally arrive. So, here's a look at when you'll be able to liberate your parasol and plimsolls.
Temperatures in the mid-teens and constant showers... if not storms.
 
So far, this has been summer 2019 for most in France, leading many to wonder exactly when the sun will make a comeback.
 
Well, we have some good news. 
 
France is due for a blast of summery heat next week, according to national weather agency Météo France, and it looks like it will be here to stay. 
 
Weather forecast for Wednesday June 19th. Map: Météo France
 
Temperatures are expected to increase gradually over the weekend before reaching 28C-33C in the middle of next week. 
 
The national weather agency said this would mark the beginning of the summery weather across the country, with temperatures set to be above average in some places.
 
"It is likely a peak of heat will hit the country by the middle of next week, just before the arrival of the summer calendar," said Météo France. 
 
Heatwave: Paris and northern France on alert as temperatures risePhoto: AFP
 
Paris will see the mercury rise to 22C on Saturday and Sunday, with temperatures set to reach 28C on Wednesday afternoon. 
 
Corsica will be particularly affected by the warm temperatures, with the mercury set to reach 40C on the 'Isle of Beauty'. 
 
However it won't be the end of the rainstorms entirely, with eastern France to Nouvelle-Aquitaine in the west set to be hit by showers.
 
What about the rest of the summer?
 
According to the summer forecast from Météo France, the summer of 2019 could be even hotter than average. 
 
Temperatures in June, July and August are expected to be above average, due to "anticyclonic conditions that should dominate the period over France and much of Europe, with temperatures above normal", said the national weather agency's seasonal forecast.
 
Map: Météo France
 
There is a 50 percent chance that the June, July and August temperatures will be above seasonal averages, a 30 percent chance that they will be consistent with these averages, and only a 20 percent chance that summer will be cooler than normal (see map above).
 
However it's important to remember that "seasonal forecasts do not predict heat waves," it added. 
 
So far, forecasts are unclear on the levels of rainfall expected this summer, with predictions saying there is as much chance that the summer will be dry, rainy or "normal" in France.
 
How reliable is this forecast?
 
The agency notes that beyond a period of 10-15 days, it can be difficult to make reliable weather predictions although it is possible to get an idea of what will happen based on trends. 
 
And it's worth noting that Météo France has said its forecasts are "better on temperature than on rainfall" so there might still be a few showers this summer. 
 
However, forecaster and presenter at BFMTV, Guillaume Séchet previously told the TV news channel: "It's easier to take into account three whole months."
 
"It limits the prediction of anomalies, so we know if it will be a hot or cold summer, more dry or humid, but not if it will rain on July 14th at 2.30pm," he said.
 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

Five unusual things you can do in Malta

Malta may be a small island but size can be deceiving. From an entire ‘village’ full of cats to a neolithic necropolis, there’s much more to Malta than meets the eye.