French property of the week: Charming farmhouse with 34 acres in the heart of France

Fancy a stunning farmhouse situated in the very heart of France that comes with its own swimming pool, guest house and 34 acres of land? If so this property could be your French rural idyll!

French property of the week: Charming farmhouse with 34 acres in the heart of France
Photo: Leggett Immobilier

Where is it?

The property is located in the countryside of the department of Cher in central France. 

Le Chatelet is the nearest village at just 3 km away and has all the main amenities including a supermarket, pharmacy, bars and restaurants.
Meanwhile the village of Chateaumeillant is 8 km which has all the amenities as well as a weekly market on Fridays.
Le Chatelet is 50 minutes from Chateauroux airport with twice weekly flights to the UK and elsewhere in Europe, and 90 minutes from Limoges and Clermont Ferrand airports.
Map: Google maps
How much does it cost?
The property costs €371,000, £324,321 or $437,539 depending on the current exchange rate.
Describe the property
This picturesque property has five bedrooms, three bathrooms and is a total of 200m2. Four of the bedrooms have an ensuite bathroom. 
The house overlooks a south facing swimming pool.
The property also comes with a separate guest house with three bedrooms which could be used as a gite and a pretty stone cottage in need of renovation with a working bread oven — currently used to store outdoor games.
The house and the cottage both have their own private terraces with sun and shaded areas.
Set in beautiful undulating countryside, with unspoilt and uninterrupted views, the land which comes with this property is a variety of meadow, forest and garden.  

What the estate agent says

Estate agent Leggett Immobilier says: “A beautiful stone farmhouse with fabulous views, original features lovingly restored and retained. A south facing swimming pool overlooking the countryside, 34 acres of land including pasture land suitable for horses and woodland. Stunning countryside all around. A rural idyll!”
And the photos

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


The post-Brexit tax rules on selling second-homes in France

British second-home owners in France who want to sell their properties are being warned of an extra layer of administration - and expense - in place since Brexit.

The post-Brexit tax rules on selling second-homes in France

Brits wishing to sell property in France may now need to appoint a représentant fiscal (tax representative) in France in order to properly declare the sale to French tax authorities. 


This law applies to people who own property in France but do not live here – mostly that would be second-home owners but it could also apply to, for example, anyone who has inherited property.

This requirement has always been the case for non-Europeans such as Americans, Canadians and Australians and now also applies to Britons since the end of the Brexit transition period. People who live in another EU or EEA country are exempt.

The law is based on residency, not nationality. So if, for example, you have your main residence in the UK but have an Irish passport, you would still be covered by this requirement.


As well as EU residency, there are a couple of other exemptions;

  • If you sell your property for less than €150,000
  • If you have owned the property for more than 30 years (in which case the sale is exempt from capital gains tax and social security contributions).

What is a représentant fiscal?

This is simply a representative for tax purposes in France, and the person does not need specific qualifications in law or accountancy.

The following can be appointed:

  • A company or organisation already permanently accredited by the tax authorities;
  • A bank or credit institution operating in France;
  • The buyer of your property, if they are domiciled in France for tax purposes (they do not need to be a French citizen);
  • Any other individual who is domiciled in France for tax purposes (they do not need to be a French citizen) – in this case they will need to be accredited by the local authority;
  • If the property is in Paris, the individual will need to be accredited by the Île-de-France tax authorities – département de Paris-Pôle gestion fiscale Centre-Missions foncières, 6 rue Paganini, 75020 Paris. Tel: 01 53 27 46 45

If you decide to appoint an individual rather than a company as your représentant fiscale, bear in mind that the process can be quite complicated, so it would be better to check that they are confident in dealing with the tax authorities, to ensure that you don’t end up with unfinished business with the tax office.

If you chose a company, they will naturally charge for the service. 

Whichever representative you chose, you will need to provide a dossier of documents relating to the property sale and also confirming that you are a tax resident of a country outside France (tax returns, banking information, for example).

Will you have to pay tax on the proceeds of the sale?

If your main residence is not in France, you have no other income in France and you do not complete the annual French tax declaration you will not usually have to pay tax in France on the proceeds of the sale, provided your total estate is worth less than €1.3 million.

Properties worth more than €1.3million may be liable for the impôt sur la fortune immobilière (property wealth tax).

You will of course have to declare the income from the sale in the country where you are resident and, if applicable, pay capital gains tax.

What about French property taxes?

If you have owned property in France you will have been paying the taxe foncière and taxe d’habitation.

These will cease, but bear in mind that taxe foncière is charged based on who owned the property on January 1st of the relevant tax year. So if you sold your property in February 2022, you will still get a tax bill in autumn 2022 to cover that year. Only the following year will the new owner become liable, unless the sale contract for the property included an agreement to share or split outstanding taxes.

Find more information on the Internationals section of the French tax office website HERE or pay a visit to your local tax office in France. Find your local office by searching ‘Centre des Finances publiques’ plus the name of your commune – tax offices are open to the public on a walk-in basis and the staff are usually friendly and helpful.