Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Frenchman dies after pétanque ball explodes in barbecue

Share this article

Frenchman dies after pétanque ball explodes in barbecue
Photo: Ringo 13/Flickr
09:31 CEST+02:00
A 31-year-old Frenchman has died after a metal ball used for playing the traditional French game pétanque exploded in his barbecue.

The boule de petanque had been left inside the barbecue under the grill along with the hot charcoals as the man cooked in the garden of his home in the town of Boulou, in the Pyrénées-Orientales department of south west France.

The ball heated up to a point when it became so hot it exploded, according to initial reports from firefighters who attended the scene. 

(Wesley Nitsckie/FLickr)

The explosion sent metal fragments into the man's face. A doctor was sent to the scene by helicopter and paramedics also attended but were unable to save the man, who died from head injuries.

Three young children, their father and the mother of the victim were also in the garden at the time but were not injured.

Firefighters told FranceInfo they had no idea that the balls used for petanque could explode under searing heat. It was not clear whether the ball had been placed in the BBQ on purpose or had been left there by accident unbeknown to the victim.

Pétanque balls are made from "two major types of steel - carbon steel and stainless steel" that are hollow in the middle and weigh between 600 and 800 grams.

 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

Change the world with a master's degree from Sweden's Linköping University

Master's students at world-leading Linköping University (LiU) aren't there simply to study. They solve real-world problems alongside experts in fields that can create a better tomorrow. Do you have what it takes to join them?

Advertisement