SHARE
COPY LINK

RELIGION

French churchgoers to recite new version of the Lord’s Prayer

French churchgoers will begin reciting a new version of the Lord's Prayer on Sunday in which God will no longer have a direct hand in their temptation.

French churchgoers to recite new version of the Lord's Prayer
Photo: AFP
The traditional line in the English version, “Lead us not into temptation”, has for decades been rendered in French as “Ne nous soumets pas a la tentation” (“Do not submit us to temptation”).
   
From now on French worshippers will ask the Almighty: “Ne nous laisse pas entrer en tentation” (“Do not let us enter into temptation”) — shifting the onus of sin more firmly onto the shoulders of the sinner.
   
The line has long been a subject of debate among theologians. To some, the idea that God could do the work of the devil was absurd; to others it was downright blasphemous.
   
The current translation has been used since 1966, after the modernising Second Vatican Council ushered in the use of the vernacular instead of Latin in Catholic masses around the world.
   
It was first rendered in Greek by the apostles Matthew and Luke, who were themselves translating the words of Jesus speaking in his native Aramaic.
   
“In itself the translation wasn't wrong, but the interpretation was ambiguous,” said Monsignor Guy de Kerimel, the French Catholic Church's chief liturgist.
   
The new version has also been adopted by France's much smaller Protestant Church.
   
The Lord's Prayer is one of the few that most Christian faithful know by heart.
   
“There's going to be some mumbling for a while” as worshippers adjust to the new words, Kerimel said.
 
READ ALSO: 
Unholy row breaks out in France after Breton town told to pull down cross
Photo: AFP
 

POLITICS

French minster orders closure of Cannes mosque over anti-Semitic remarks

France's interior minister said on Wednesday he had ordered the closure of a mosque on the French Riviera because of anti-Semitic remarks made there.

The French riviera town of Cannes
The French riviera town of Cannes. Photo: Joel Saget/AFP

Gerald Darmanin said the mosque in the seaside city of Cannes was also guilty of supporting CCIF and BarakaCity, two associations that the government dissolved at the end of last year for spreading “Islamist” propaganda.

Darmanin told broadcaster CNews that he had consulted with the mayor of Cannes, David Lisnard, before shutting down the mosque.

The move comes two weeks after authorities closed a mosque in the north of the country because of what they said was the radical nature of its imam’s preaching.

The mosque in Beauvais, a town of 50,000 people some 100 kilometres north of Paris, was shut for six months because the sermons there incited hatred and violence and “defend jihad”, authorities said.

Last October, a mosque in Allonnes, 200 kilometres west of Paris, was closed also for six months for sermons defending armed jihad and “terrorism”, according to regional authorities.

The French government announced last year that it would step up checks of places of worship and associations suspected of spreading radical Islamic propaganda.

The crackdown came after the October 2020 murder of teacher Samuel Paty, who was targeted following an online campaign against him for having shown controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed published by the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo during a civics class.

In the interview on Wednesday, the interior minister said that 70 mosques in France were considered to be “radicalised”.

According to the ministry, there are a total of 2,623 mosques and Muslim prayer halls in the country.

SHOW COMMENTS