SHARE
COPY LINK

TERRORISM

France now keeping tabs on 18,000 radicalized individuals

French intelligence chiefs have revealed that a list of individuals considered radicalized and potentially violent now numbers 18,000. Some 4,000 of the most dangerous are under close surveillance.

France now keeping tabs on 18,000 radicalized individuals
AFP

The head of France's internal intelligence services the DGSI released the figures to highlight that despite terror group Isis facing defeat in the Middle East the danger of homegrown terrorism in France remains high.

Laurent Nunez told RTL radio that the names of 18,000 individuals are on a list of people flagged up for being radicalized towards violence – a steep rise on the number a year ago when it stood at 15,000.

France's various intelligence agencies are keeping tabs on those 18,000 names on the FSTRP list (Fichier des signalements pour la prévention de la radicalisation à caractère terrorist).

Nunez said the DGSI have placed around 4,000 individuals who intelligence services believe are the most dangerous under tighter surveillance. He did not reveal details of how exactly intelligence services were keeping watch on these potentially dangerous people.

“Our chief role is to prevent attacks, detect threats and neutralize them as soon as possible,” said Nunez.

While Isis might have lost much of its territory in the Middle East including its de facto “capital” in Raqqa Nunez pointed out there were still individuals in France who could “respond” to its propaganda.

Last week France's specialist terrorist prosecutor François Molins noted that 2017 had seen a rise in “isolated attacks” – 11 in total, including one at Marseille train station that left two young students dead.

Since 2013 some 46 terror plots have been foiled in France while 17 failed.

Nunez said the likelihood of commando teams being sent from the Middle East to attack Paris as was the case for the November attacks two years ago was less likely but could not be ruled out.

 

 

CRIME

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim’s x-ray

A Paris court on Wednesday convicted a surgeon for trying to sell an X-Ray image of a wounded arm of a woman who survived the 2015 terror attacks in the French capital.

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim's x-ray

Found guilty of violating medical secrecy, renowned orthopaedic surgeon Emmanuel Masmejean must pay the victim €5,000 or face two months in jail, judges ordered.

Masmejean, who works at the Georges-Pompidou hospital in western Paris, posted the image of a young woman’s forearm penetrated by a Kalashnikov bullet on marketplace Opensea in late 2021.

The site allows its roughly 20 million users to trade non-fungible tokens (NFTs) – certificates of ownership of an artwork that are stored on a “blockchain” similar to the technology used to secure cryptocurrencies.

In the file’s description, the surgeon wrote that the young woman he had operated on had “lost her boyfriend in the attack” on the Bataclan concert hall, the focus of the November 2015 gun and bomb assault in which jihadists killed 130 people.

The X-Ray image never sold for the asking price of $2,776, and was removed from Opensea after being revealed by investigative website Mediapart in January.

Masmejean claimed at a September court hearing that he had been carrying out an “experiment” by putting a “striking and historic medical image” online – while acknowledging that it had been “idiocy, a mistake, a blunder”.

The court did not find him guilty of two further charges of abuse of personal data and illegally revealing harmful personal information.

Nor was he barred from practicing as prosecutors had urged, with the lead judge saying it would be “disproportionate and inappropriate” to inflict such a “social death” on the doctor.

The victim’s lawyer Elodie Abraham complained of a “politically correct” judgement.

“It doesn’t bother anyone that there’s been such a flagrant breach of medical secrecy. It’s not a good message for doctors,” Abraham said.

Neither Masmejean, who has been suspended from his hospital job, nor the victim were present for Wednesday’s ruling.

The surgeon may yet face professional consequences after appearing before the French medical association in September, his lawyer Ivan Terel said.

SHOW COMMENTS