SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Paris thieves nab €100,000 from tourists in highway robbery

A Russian couple have been robbed of jewellery and luxury goods worth some €100,000 on a stretch of Parisian motorway that is growing notorious for robberies of the wealthy.

Paris thieves nab €100,000 from tourists in highway robbery
Photo: AFP
The couple were robbed on the A1 motorway north of the French capital on Tuesday night, a police source said, just after they landed at Paris' Le Bourget airport which is used by private jets.
   
Le Parisien newspaper reported that their chauffeur-driven car was pushed towards the motorway exit by another vehicle.
   
Three thieves seized their jewellery, clothes and other possessions, a police source said, with the value estimated at $105,000.
   
The stretch of motorway, which serves the Charles de Gaulle airport as well as Le Bourget, is the scene of regular robberies by thieves targeting wealthy visitors to Paris.
   
Two Qataris were robbed of five million euros while on their way into the city centre in November.
   
And a month earlier three thieves attacked a taxi that was carrying a businessman and his wife and made off with their luggage, at an estimated loss to the couple of 100,000 euros.
   
In August 2014, a gang of armed and masked men attacked a Saudi prince after his arrival at Le Bourget airport, stealing 250,000 euros and diplomatic documents.
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

POLICE

France charges teen over ‘imminent terror attack’ plot

French authorities have charged an 18-year-old man on suspicion of planning an imminent terror attack with a knife in the name of Islamic State (IS) jihadists, a judicial source said on Wednesday.

France charges teen over 'imminent terror attack' plot

Initial investigations indicated that he planned to carry out a terror attack “in the name of IS, to which he had pledged allegiance,” said the source, who asked not to be named, adding that the man had been detained in the Drome region of southeast France and charged in Paris.

The source added that the man had been detained in the Drome region of southeast France and charged in Paris.

The man, from a Muslim family, had adopted extremist views and was considered a threat, sparking France’s anti-terror prosecutors office (PNAT) to open an investigation on May 19, a source close to the case said.

Police arrested him on Friday and a video of him swearing allegiance to IS was found in his possession.

The source did not say whom he was planning to target in the attack or in which location.

France saw a wave of jihadist attacks from 2015 that left hundreds dead and pushed the country to its highest level of security alert.

There has been no repeat of a mass atrocity in the last years, but there have been several deadly attacks carried out by lone individuals

More to follow

SHOW COMMENTS