Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Frenchman dies in bath after being electrocuted 'when he dropped smartphone'

Share this article

Frenchman dies in bath after being electrocuted 'when he dropped smartphone'
Photo: Blondinrikard/flickr
17:14 CET+01:00
An 18-year-old Frenchman died when he was electrocuted in his bath after reportedly dropping his smartphone into the water while it was charging.

The tragic incident occurred earlier this month at the young man's home in the village of Puy-Notre-Dame in the Maine-et-Loire department, not far from the town of Saumur

According to reports in the French press the man was found unconscious in the bath by his mother at about 1pm on January 19th.

Reports in Ouest France newspaper say he was electrocuted after apparently having dropped his phone in the bath while it was charging.

Paramedics were called out and tried to resuscitate the victim. He was taken to hospital but died 10 days later.

Local prosecutors in Saumur have opened an investigation to find out exactly what happened.

The incident was not a one off.

In February last year a Russian teenager was electrocuted in the bath after using an extension lead to plug in her phone as she took a bath.

 

 

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

Change the world with a master's degree from Sweden's Linköping University

Master's students at world-leading Linköping University (LiU) aren't there simply to study. They solve real-world problems alongside experts in fields that can create a better tomorrow. Do you have what it takes to join them?

Advertisement