Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Video shows Frenchman's crazy e-cigarette explosion

Share this article

Video shows Frenchman's crazy e-cigarette explosion
Photo: La Dépêche du Midi/Screengrab.
09:26 CET+01:00
A nightclub manager in southern France has been left with second degree burns after his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.
CCTV footage has caught the shocking moment that a man's e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. 
 
The incident occurred outside a nightclub in Toulouse on Friday night. 
 
Security camera footage from the scene shows the manager, Amine Britel, walking around smoking his electronic cigarette. 
 
Then sparks start to fly from his right pocket.
 
 
"I heard what sounded like a firecracker but ten times louder," he told the regional La Dépêche du Midi newspaper
 
"After the shock of the explosion, I realized I had caught on fire."
 
The sparks lasted only several seconds, but they were strong enough to leave Britel in hospital with second degree burns to his side and fingers.
 
In trying to put out the flames, he said that his jacket melted to his finger. 
 
The nightclub manager told the paper that he assumed the spark ignited after the battery of his e-cigarette was in contact with loose change in his pocket. 
 
He said that he had launched a complaint with the Chinese manufacturer of the e-cigarette, but has few expectations that anything will come of it. 
 
Exploding e-cigarettes have caused problems in France before, including just last month when another Toulouse man was injured in a similar incident. 
 
In south western France in February, four cars ended up torched after a woman's e-cigarette caught fire inside her car
 
 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.
Advertisement

From our sponsors

Is this the world’s most international business school?

It's not just one of the world’s leading business schools. It’s also a chance for students to have a truly international undergraduate experience.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement