In a documentary to be screened on Wednesday evening the prosecutor of Nice makes a chilling disclosure that as many as five serious plots have been thwarted since the atrocious truck attack on the Promenade des Anglais on July 14th.
In a documentary titled "Deradicalized" to be shown on France 3 prosecutor Jean-Michel Prêtre said the plots were planned to target particular sporting events, schools or places of worship across the Côte d'Azur.
“Several cases were handed over to the specialist counter-terrorist judges in Paris,” said Prêtre.
“They involved plots to attack places of worship or certain gatherings, sporting events, stadiums, schools, which are recurrent themes on the communication published on the internet."
The prosecutor said the cases sent to specialist counter-terrorist magistrates were of individuals apparently ready to act who had “began to articulate quite specific things about a specific target,” the prosecutor said without giving further details.
Earlier in the week the prosecutor had told a court in Nice how some “70 cases related to terrorism or violent radicalization” had been investigated by prosecutors since the attack on the Promenade des Anglais.
Authorities on the Riviera have moved to reduce the risk of attacks over the summer that saw several events cancelled in the region including the Marseille air show in August.
There may be more big events cancelled in the summer with the Nice to Cannes Marathon scheduled to take place on November 13th – the anniversary of the gun and bomb attacks in Paris – facing cancellation.
A decision will be taken shortly on whether it goes ahead.