- Two knifemen claiming to be from Islamic state took several hostages during mass
- They killed the 85-year-old priest Jacques Hamel by slitting his throat
- Three churchgoers were also injured, one of them seriously
- The attackers were shot dead by police
- President François Hollande described it as a “vile terrorist attack”
- Counter terror judges have been called in to investigate
- Isis then claimed responsibility for the attack
France's Prime Minister Manuel Valls expressed his “horror at the barbaric attack” in the early afternoon.
“The whole of France and all Catholics are wounded. We will stand together,” he wrote on Twitter.