SHARE
COPY LINK

POLICE

How did the truck get past? – France probes Nice security

The French government has ordered a probe to examine the security operation in Nice on the night of July 14th after a newspaper alleged numerous "failings" and even "lies" by ministers.

How did the truck get past? - France probes Nice security
Police check cars on the night of the truck attack in Nice. Photo: AFP

The French government has bowed to increasing pressure to explain how the Nice truck killer was able to get past a security checkpoint on the night of the July 14th and go on to murder 84 people.

On Thursday the French interior minster Bernard Cazeneuve called in the so-called “police of the police” to begin an independent “technical probe” into the nature of the security operation mounted by police on Bastille Day.

The minister announced that the body that investigates the French police, the Inspection Generale de la Police Nationale will be called in to scrutinize the security operation in Nice on July 14th.

“This investigation will enable us to establish the facts around the operation while the needless debates continue,” Cazeneuve said in a statement.

The probe would be carried out for the sake of “transparency and truth that is owed to the victims and their families”.

Cazeneuve had come in for criticism after report in Liberation newspaper titled “Nice attack: security failings and a lie”, claimed he had lied about the level of security at the access to the Promenade des Anglais, the coastal road where Mohammed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel carried out his deadly 2km rampage.

Ever since last Thursday's attack the question of how in a state of emergency, with security supposedly top priority to deal with the heightened terror threat, a man could drive a 19-tonne truck onto a promenade where thousands were out celebrating France’s highly symbolic fête nationale.

“I want to know how this truck was able to enter the pedestrianized zone,” were the words of former mayor Nice Christian Estrosi on the night of the attack.

In the days after the attack PM Manuel Valls angrily rejected “shameful” suggestions that there were any security failings in Nice.

The government was forced to defend the operation on the night of July 14th and with the ministry of interior insisting that sensitive points of security at access points to the promenade saw national police posted to reinforce the local municipal police.

“This was particularly true of the truck’s entry point, with access to the road blocked by the positing of police vehicles. The truck forced his way through the road block by mounting the pavement,” read a statement from the local authority.

After a cabinet meeting on July 16th Cazeneuve had said that police cars had been parked to make access to the promenade impossible and again insisted that the truck had got passed the road block by “violently mounting the pavement”.

But Liberation newspaper contested this version of events in their report detailing the security that was present at the entrance to the Promenade des Anglais on the night of the attack.

After studying CCTV footage and photos and speaking to witnesses the newspaper said only one municipal police car was stationed on the road at the entrance to the Promenade, but it did not block access to vehicles..

The newspaper also claimed that no officer from the national police force was present alongside two municipal officers at the security perimeter, where at around 11pm Lahouaiej-Bouhlel crashed through at the beginning of his deadly rampage.

The paper claimed national police officers were stationed further down the promenade but their two cars were also parked lengthways, meaning they did not block the route of the driver hell bent on causing death.

Following Liberation’s report Cazeneuve hit back at the “serious falsehoods in the report”.

Cazeneuve insisted the national police had secured the entry to the pedestrianized promenade by stationing two vehicles at a check point along with six officers.

“The interior ministry reiterates that the security plan set up on July 14th was consistent is all respects with preparatory meetings held between local authorities and the police,” said Cazeneuve.

That was before he decided to launch the independent probe, which former Nice mayor Christian Estrosi will hope to answer his question of how Lahouaiej-Bouhlel and his 19 tonne truck got through.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

POLICE

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

A Frenchwoman and a Spaniard were killed and nine other mountaineers were injured on Friday in an ice fall in southwest Switzerland, police said following a rescue attempt involving several helicopters.

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

Police received calls at 6.20 am reporting that mountaineers had been caught up in falling seracs — columns of glacial ice formed by crevasses — on the Grand Combin, a glacial massif near the Italian border in the Wallis region.

Seven helicopters with mountain rescue experts flew to the scene, finding 17 mountaineers split among several groups.

“Two people died at the scene of the accident,” Wallis police said in a statement. They were a 40-year-old Frenchwoman and a 65-year-old man from Spain.

Nine mountaineers were airlifted to hospitals in nearby Sion and in Lausanne. Two of them are seriously injured, police said.

Other mountaineers were evacuated by helicopter.

The regional public prosecutor has opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances of this event”, the police said.

The serac fall happened at an altitude of 3,400 metres in the Plateau de Dejeuner section along the Voie du Gardien ascent route.

The Grand Combin massif has three summits above 4,000 metres, the highest of which is the Combin de Grafeneire at 4,314 metres.

The police issued a note of caution about setting off on such high-altitude expeditions.

“When the zero-degree-Celsius isotherm is around 4,000 metres above sea level, it is better to be extra careful or not attempt the route if in doubt,” Wallis police said.

“The golden rule is to find out beforehand from the mountain guides about the chosen route and its current feasibility.”

SHOW COMMENTS