Worried Brits in France unite online after Brexit vote

A new Facebook group is gaining traction as Brits in France get together to tackle the post-Brexit mess.

Worried Brits in France unite online after Brexit vote
Photo: European Parliament/Flickr
It's been two weeks since the Brexit vote, and Brits in France have decided that it's time to start tackling the next steps – “Can we stop Brexit?” and “What happens next for us?”
Nearly 2,000 Brits in France have gathered together in a new Facebook group called Remain in France Together (or Rift) in an attempt to get to the bottom of these issues. 
The group founder, Ros Petherick, told The Local that she created the page after watching “in despair” as the referendum results came in. 
“Along with many other British citizens living in France, I sat up all night watching with a growing sense of insecurity and despair as the results of the referendum became known.”
She said the group originally was a means for Brits in France to “let off steam”, but within 48 hours there was a clear demand for action. 
“I hope the group will combine to fight Brexit on every level (including legislative – we have a barrister on board) until such time as Article 50 is invoked,” she said, referring to the process that will kick-start Britain's exit from the EU.  
“If the latter does happen then the direction of the group will change and focus on trying to influence any deal made in respect of British citizens living in France. We all want, passionately, to continue living in a country which we love and which has become our homeland.”

Recent posts, for example, include calls to sign a petition appointing a minister to maintain the rights of UK citizens in the EU, and another petition to negotiate the possibility of British citizens opting to keep their EU citizenship.  
Photo: OliBac/Flickr
The group's strategist, Emma Jell, says that the page has proven to be a vibrant hub for people who want to talk politics without clogging up other expat feeds on social media. 
“This is specifically a place for Brits in France to come and discuss what's happening and what the Brexit vote means for UK citizens living in France,” she told The Local. 
These Brits have no representatives in the UK or EU government, so it's a matter of getting a voice that can be heard and shared, she added. 
“Brits in France make up a unique percentage of UK citizens, and it looks like we may be used as pawns in post-Brexit negotiations and used as a bargaining tool. If we don't initiate being part of these negotiations, then it looks like others will be deciding our future. That's not part of democracy, is it?”
She said that the aim was to host a space away from political opinions and rants where UK citizens could unite and find a way to remain in France. 
The group has already been in contact with lawyers, and eventually plans to have its own dedicated website. 

Click here to join the Remain in France Together Facebook group.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


Why some Brits in France are facing bigger tax bills since Brexit

Over the summer people living in France have received their tax bills, and some Brits who are residents here will have noticed that their bill is larger than usual - here's why.

Why some Brits in France are facing bigger tax bills since Brexit

Brits who live in France and make a tax declaration here, but have income from the UK, may have noticed that their tax bill has increased this year – here’s why and whether you can challenge the increase. 


Yes, this is Brexit related and it refers to social charges on non-French income. The standard rate for these charges are 7.5 percent for income from an EU country and 17.2 percent for income from a non-EU country.

The tax bills received over the summer relate to the annual French tax declaration filed in April 2022, covering the 2021 tax year. In other words, the first year after the end of the Brexit transition period.

Social charges

Social charges are levies with a social purpose introduced in France in the 1990s to finance the country’s complex social security system.

If you have a French payslip you will already be familiar with them, and they actually make up the bulk of deductions from salaries, significantly more than income tax.

READ ALSO How to understand your French payslip

One of the big questions is whether France’s social charges are actually a ‘tax’ – the government repeatedly insists they’re not, for all that they look like a tax and are paid like a tax. 

The position on French social charges has changed several times in recent years, sometimes in response to court action all centred on whether this money that government deducts from your income can be called a ‘tax’ or not.

Katey Murray, at The Spectrum IFA Group, explained: “Article 29 of the amended Finance law of 2012 extended social charges to rental income from French properties and capital gains on properties for people who are not French tax resident.

“In 2015, a Dutch national challenged the fact that he was paying social charges in France and social security contributions in the Netherlands. The case went before the ECJ, which ruled these levies were similar to social security contributions and therefore contrary to European law.”

France’s highest administrative court, the Conseil d’Etat, confirmed the ECJ’s ruling. “French tax offices then, if a claim was made to them, reimbursed undue social charges,” Murray said.

“However, the French Government stated that these claims could only be made by someone covered for their healthcare by the system of another European country (EU, EEA or Switzerland) and not someone covered by a non-European health system. 

“This was confirmed by the ECJ for a French national living in China in a case in January 2018.”

Foreigners in France

And it’s this ‘healthcare system’ distinction that has become the key detail for Brits in France, clarified by a court ruling from March 2022 on the details of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. 

Social charges are currently set at 7.5 percent for income from an EU country, or 17.2 percent for income from a non-EU country. So income from the UK jumped to the higher rate at the end of the Brexit transition period.

However the ECJ ruling on healthcare cover is the key bit – essentially if you are already contributing to another European country’s social security system, you benefit from the lower rate.

This mainly affects two groups – Brits living in the UK (and therefore covered by the NHS) who have income in France, and Brits who are living in France and who have an S1, which states that their healthcare costs are covered by the NHS.

S1 holders are mainly British pensioners living in France, but the scheme can also apply to other groups including students and posted workers. 

Brits who are living in France and are covered by the French health system pay the higher rate on income from the UK. 

Technically the 7.5 percent rate is a ‘social levy’ rather than the prélèvements sociaux.

The ‘social levy’ is not charged on pensions, so if you are an S1 holder who receives a British pension, you will not have to pay any social charges at all, while certain types of property income may also be exempt from social charges.


As we stated above, social charges are not a tax (although they are deducted from your income by the tax office).

Taxes on income from the UK is covered by the bilateral dual-taxation treaty between France and the UK, which states that you don’t have to pay tax in France on income that you have already paid tax on in the UK. 

So the first thing to check on your tax bill is whether deductions relate to impôt (tax) or prélèvements sociaux (social charges).

Challenge your tax bill

So what to do if you think you have been incorrectly charged on income from the UK?

If you are an S1 holder, it’s a case of telling the tax office that you benefit from the lower 7.5 percent social levy, rather than the 17.2 percent social charge.

Murray said: “You can state that you are not subject to social charges by ticking boxes 8SH/8SI on your tax form (2042 form) or, if you have been charged at the higher rate, you can claim them back on your personal page on the website.”

If the over-charge relates to a different issue – for example you have been charged both tax and the social charge or charged on exempt income – your first step is talking to the tax office, either in person or over the phone.

READ ALSO How to challenge your French tax bill

This article is a general overview of the tax rules and is not intended as a substitute for financial advice, if your financial affairs are complicated you are always better off getting professional help from an accountant who specialises in international taxation.