SHARE
COPY LINK

FRANCE - UK

France tells UK to hurry up and get on with EU divorce

France, Germany and Italy insisted that the EU would move on without the UK and urged Britain not to waste time by delaying the divorce.

France tells UK to hurry up and get on with EU divorce
Photo: AFP

The leaders of Germany, France and Italy vowed on Monday “a new impulse” for the EU as it reels from Brexit and told London that the bloc would make no deals before Britain formally decides to leave.

The EU's three most populous continental nations signalled that the UK must first take the plunge of invoking Article 50 to exit before it can negotiate its future trade and other ties with the bloc.

Chancellor Angela Merkel — hosting French President Francois Hollande and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi in Berlin — said that “we agreed on this, that there will be no informal or formal talks on the exit of Britain until an application has been filed to leave the European Union”.

British finance minister George Osborne had said earlier that his country should only activate Article 50 when it has a “clear view” of its future relations with the bloc.

Merkel also stressed that “there must be no period of uncertainty” that is prolonged, and that the EU must counter “centrifugal forces” in other EU countries pushing to leave the union.

Hollande, somewhat more bluntly, urged Britain to “not waste time” in triggering the process to leave, arguing that it was to all parties' benefit to move forward quickly.

“Being responsible means not wasting time — not wasting time in dealing with the question of Britain's departure, not wasting time too in putting in place the new stimulus that we need to give to the European Union, that is to say, the 27 members.”

“Because nothing is worse than uncertainty,” he added. “Uncertainty generates often irrational behaviour. Uncertainty also leads financial markets to act irrationally.”

'Delivering prosperity'

In a joint statement the leaders said they “regret that the United Kingdom will no longer be our partner within the European Union” but said confidently that the EU “is strong enough to find the right answers”.

On the eve of a Brussels summit, they urged steps among the remaining 27 members to jointly boost cooperation on internal and external security as well as the economy and programmes to help youths.

Merkel vowed that the remaining members would push on with the European project, saying that “we will suggest to our (EU) colleagues that we should put in place a new impulse … in the coming months”.

She called for unity and urged a new collective push for cooperation in areas that included “defence, growth or jobs and competitiveness”.

The focus should be on internal and external security, counter-terrorism and protecting the EU's external borders, she said, adding that “a second focus is on the economy, growth and competitiveness”.

Renzi said that “it is clear that we have to respect the sovereign decision of the British people but at the same time, there has to be a strategy for the months to come”.

“We are a big family and we need to reassure the members of the family. But there is also a great need to remodel the European project in the coming years… Things need to move forward.”

In their joint statement the three leaders said they would push for greater cooperation on security issues, including “developing our European defence and taking necessary engagements on joint operations”.

They also said Europe must “keep its promise on delivering prosperity to its citizens”.

To do so, eurozone nations should “take new steps if necessary to reinforce growth, competitiveness, employment, and convergence including in the social and fiscal areas”.

A key target group would be to reduce massive youth unemployment in several EU nations, they said, stressing that “Europe would not succeed unless it gives hope to its youth”.

The proposed reforms would be the subject of a September summit, with a view to the implementing them within six months.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

TRAVEL NEWS

Amber alert: Travellers to France warned of another busy weekend at UK ports

A week after chaotic scenes and 6-hour queues at the port of Dover, the British motoring organisation the AA has issued an amber traffic warning, and says it expects cross-Channel ports to be very busy once again this weekend as holidaymakers head to France.

Amber alert: Travellers to France warned of another busy weekend at UK ports

The AA issued the amber warning on Thursday for the whole of the UK, the first time that it has issued this type of warning in advance.

Roads across the UK are predicted to be extremely busy due to a combination of holiday getaways, several large sporting events and a rail strike – but the organisation said that it expected traffic to once again be very heavy around the port of Dover and the Channel Tunnel terminal at Folkestone.

Last weekend there was gridlock in southern England and passengers heading to France enduring waits of more than six hours at Dover, and four hours at Folkestone.

The AA said that while it doesn’t expect quite this level of chaos to be repeated, congestion was still expected around Dover and Folkestone.

On Thursday ferry operator DFDS was advising passengers to allow two hours to get through check-in and border controls, while at Folkestone, the Channel Tunnel operators only said there was a “slightly longer than usual” wait for border controls.

In both cases, passengers who miss their booked train or ferry while in the queue will be accommodated on the next available crossing with no extra charge.

Last weekend was the big holiday ‘getaway’ weekend as schools broke up, and a technical fault meant that some of the French border control team were an hour late to work, adding to the chaos. 

But the underlying problems remain – including extra checks needed in the aftermath of Brexit, limited space for French passport control officers at Dover and long lorry queues on the motorway heading to Folkestone.

OPINION UK-France travel crisis will only be solved when the British get real about Brexit

The port of Dover expects 140,000 passengers, 45,000 cars and 18,000 freight vehicles between Thursday and Sunday, and queues were already starting to build on Thursday morning.

SHOW COMMENTS