SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

French ex-football star Ginola ‘improving’ after heart attack

Former French international star David Ginola is reportedly "awake and improving" after undergoing a quadruple heart bypass.

French ex-football star Ginola 'improving' after heart attack
Photos: AFP
The professor who carried out the quadruple heart bypass told the AFP news agency that Ginola was “awake and improving” after his heart attack, which reportedly left him in a coma. 
   
Ginola had been playing golf with other personalties at Mandelieu before he fell ill and was taken to Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital, where his condition was initially described as “unconscious but stable”.
   
The news prompted an outpouring of support on social media, with a post on Newcastle's official Twitter account reading “Get well soon”.
   
After leaving France for England in 1995 and spending two years in the northeast, Ginola played at Tottenham for three seasons where he was voted PFA Player of the Year and Footballer of the Year in 1999.
   
He then turned out for Aston Villa and Everton briefly before retiring in 2002.
   
He also played 17 times for his country between 1990 and 1995, but his international career was overshadowed by a 2-1 defeat to Bulgaria which saw France fail to reach the 1994 World Cup, with Ginola singled out for criticism by then coach Gerard Houllier.
   
Since his playing days, Ginola has turned his hand to presenting and working as a television pundit in both England and his native France.
 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FOOTBALL

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage

French prosecutors on Friday called for a 15-year prison sentence for one of two Russians accused of beating a British supporter during Euro 2016, an attack that left him with brain injuries.

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage
Russian fans light flares at the match against England in 2016.. Photo: AFP

One prosecutor, Christophe Raffin, asked for the “legal maximum… between 14 and 15 years” for Pavel Kossov, who is accused of throwing the first punch at 55-year-old Andrew Bache.

Bache was injured in the violence that broke out before England played Russia in the southern French port city of Marseille on June 11th, 2016.

The second Russian on trial in Aix-en-Provence, Mikhail Ivkine, stands accused of throwing a chair at the victim, with prosecutors asking for a potential suspended sentence of up to five years.

He has claimed he was defending himself.

“No, it wasn't legitimate self-defence, it was illegitimate use of force against Andrew Bache,” Raffin said of the violence.

 

Police give emergency aid to Andrew Bache following clashes in the city of Marseille. Photo: AFP

The prosecutors said the Russians were part of a group of about 150 men, many with martial arts training, who wrought havoc in Marseille.

Bache, from Portsmouth in southern England, has no memory of the events and is too frail to attend the trial.

His son Harry, who nurses his father, is representing him in court.

SHOW COMMENTS