The French government will seek to extend the current state of emergency in the country for a fourth time, PM Manuel Valls announced on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister told French radio that the government wanted to extend the period by a further two months to cover the Euro 2016 football championships, that will take place from June 10th to July 10th.
The extension would also cover the Tour de France from July 2nd to 24th.
That would mean France being under a state of emergency for almost nine months and counting.
The state of emergency that was put in place after the Paris attacks on November 13th was set to end on May 26th but conscious of the heightened terror threat and the fact jihadists have already expressed a desire to attack the tournament, France does not want to take any chances.
“We will propose to extend (the emergency) for a period of two additional months from the end of May in view of the threat,” Valls said.
“Because faced with this threat we need to have these powers, these possibilities, under the control of a judge, under the control of parliament, to allow for the best response faced with terrorism.”
The proposal to extend the emergency powers, which have allowed police to carry out thousands of raids on homes without the usual judicial oversight, will be put to a parliamentary vote in the coming weeks.
As well as the raids on homes, thousands of suspects have been placed under house arrest.
Since it was imposed in November, “more than 3,500 searches have been carried out… resulting in 400 arrests, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Friday.
The extension was perhaps expected given the reports that the Brussels bombers had initially intended to attack the tournament, before deciding to bring their plans forward fearing they were about to be foiled.
However it will no doubt be criticized by rights groups who have lined up in recent months to scold France for undermining democracy and throwing away its sacred principle of “liberté”.
The Council of Europe's human rights commissioner Nils Muiznieks warned earlier this year that the state of emergency could constitute a “threat” to democracy.
He raised concerns about ethnic profiling of suspects facing police searches.
And a panel of UN human rights experts said the measures placed what they saw as “excessive and disproportionate” restrictions on key rights.
While the government says the emergency powers have enabled them to crack down on arms trafficking, with thousands of guns seized and insist that it has helped them foil at least one terror plot, critics say the draconian police powers are counterproductive in the fight against terror.
Earlier this month President François Hollande scrapped his plan to have the emergency powers enshrined in the constitution.