SHARE
COPY LINK

IRAN

France’s ATR to sell 40 turboprop planes to Iran

Iran expects to finalise within days a deal to buy up to 40 planes from ATR, the European manufacturer of turboprop aircraft, a deputy transport minister said Saturday.

France's ATR to sell 40 turboprop planes to Iran
One of ATR's ATR 72-600 Turboprop aircraft operated by Binter Canarias. Photo: ATR
“We discussed the deals in Italy and France and ATR officials are expected in Tehran in the coming days to complete the agreement,” Asghar Fakhrieh Kashan said.
 
“There will be 20 firm and 20 optional orders,” he added, without specifying the value of the contract.
   
ATR is co-owned by European aircraft manufacturer Airbus and Italian aerospace group Finmeccanica.
   
This week, during President Hassan Rouhani's trip to Italy and France, Iran signed a contract for the purchase of 118 Airbus aircraft, to be delivered in the next four years.
   
Quoted by Iranian media, Kashan said the Airbus deal was worth $10 to $11 billion, while the previously mentioned amount was $25 billion.
   
The deal is to purchase 73 long-haul and 45 medium-haul Airbus planes, the French manufacturer detailed in a statement.
   
Before a nuclear deal with world powers took effect this month, Iran's aviation industry was subject to a US embargo preventing Western manufacturers since 1995 selling equipment and spare parts to the Islamic republic.
   
The sanctions hindered maintenance operations and pinned to the ground part of Iran's ageing fleet — currently 140 working aircraft, with an average age of about 20 years.
   
Iran needs 400 to 500 aircraft in the next decade, the head of the Iranian Civil Aviation Authority said in mid-April.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

DIPLOMACY

Iran snubs French call for missile talks citing ‘lack of trust’

Iran rejected France’s call for talks on issues beyond the nuclear dossier on Friday, saying it was impossible so long as Western powers failed to meet existing commitments.

Iran snubs French call for missile talks citing 'lack of trust'

“There is no basis of trust for negotiations, certainly on subjects which are non-negotiable,” said foreign ministry spokesperson Bahram Ghasemi, according to the Tasnim news agency.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Thursday that Iran must be open to discussions on its missile programme and regional interventions.

But Ghasemi said Europe must first show it can salvage the 2015 nuclear deal following the withdrawal of the United States in May and its reimposition of sanctions.

“The European authorities have up to now repeatedly stated their position but have not succeeded in presenting the necessary and sufficient guarantees that we are awaiting… to preserve the international agreement,” he said.

“The Iranian people have no other solution than to be mistrustful towards them while their commitments are not being fulfilled.”

Le Drian’s latest comments echoed some of the reasons given by US President Donald Trump for his withdrawal from the nuclear agreement.

“Iran cannot avoid discussions, negotiations on three other major subjects that worry us the future of Iran’s nuclear commitments after 2025, the ballistic question… and the role Iran plays to stabilise the whole region,” Le Drian said in Vienna.

Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons and says its missiles are a legitimate defence against much more heavily armed rivals.

The 2015 deal lifted international sanctions in exchange for curbs to Iran’s nuclear programme.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said on Thursday that Iran was still keeping to its commitments.

But the return of US sanctions has led most European firms to abandon projects in Iran and is already impacting its oil sales ahead of a second wave of measures targeting its energy industry in November.

SHOW COMMENTS