SHARE
COPY LINK

TERRORISM

Charlie Hebdo moves to new high-security offices

Nine months after the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack in which some of France's most celebrated cartoonists were massacred, the satirical magazine began moving Tuesday into new high-security offices in southern Paris, sources said.

Charlie Hebdo moves to new high-security offices
People lay flowers and candles at the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris which was attacked by armed French nationals Cherif and Said Kouachi. Photo: AFP

The remaining members of the editorial team have left their temporary home at the Paris offices of the French daily Liberation, which took in the survivors of the jihadi gun attack at Charlie Hebdo in January.

Brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi, who gunned down 12 people at Charlie Hebdo's offices, killed a total of 17 people during three days of attacks in and around the French capital.

The killings shocked the world and brought millions onto the streets across France in support of Charlie Hebdo, a small struggling magazine whose circulation has since soared to more than 300,000.

“They left (Liberation) today. The move was spread over several days,” a nsource told AFP, although the management of the magazine did not wish to officially comment on the move.

Despite the groundswell of public support for the magazine, Charlie Hebdo has suffered a series of blows of late, with its leading cartoonist Luz announcing he is to leave, and columnist Patrick Pelloux saying last weekend
that he would follow him.

Both cited the traumatic effects of the attack, and said that it was “not the same” without their murdered colleagues.

“I don't have strength any more to continue every week,” said Pelloux, an emergency room doctor who had built up a cult following for his despatches from the frontline of French healthcare.

The magazine has also been riven by other internal tensions over a new management team and an internal shake-up in July that included changes to its look and design.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim’s x-ray

A Paris court on Wednesday convicted a surgeon for trying to sell an X-Ray image of a wounded arm of a woman who survived the 2015 terror attacks in the French capital.

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim's x-ray

Found guilty of violating medical secrecy, renowned orthopaedic surgeon Emmanuel Masmejean must pay the victim €5,000 or face two months in jail, judges ordered.

Masmejean, who works at the Georges-Pompidou hospital in western Paris, posted the image of a young woman’s forearm penetrated by a Kalashnikov bullet on marketplace Opensea in late 2021.

The site allows its roughly 20 million users to trade non-fungible tokens (NFTs) – certificates of ownership of an artwork that are stored on a “blockchain” similar to the technology used to secure cryptocurrencies.

In the file’s description, the surgeon wrote that the young woman he had operated on had “lost her boyfriend in the attack” on the Bataclan concert hall, the focus of the November 2015 gun and bomb assault in which jihadists killed 130 people.

The X-Ray image never sold for the asking price of $2,776, and was removed from Opensea after being revealed by investigative website Mediapart in January.

Masmejean claimed at a September court hearing that he had been carrying out an “experiment” by putting a “striking and historic medical image” online – while acknowledging that it had been “idiocy, a mistake, a blunder”.

The court did not find him guilty of two further charges of abuse of personal data and illegally revealing harmful personal information.

Nor was he barred from practicing as prosecutors had urged, with the lead judge saying it would be “disproportionate and inappropriate” to inflict such a “social death” on the doctor.

The victim’s lawyer Elodie Abraham complained of a “politically correct” judgement.

“It doesn’t bother anyone that there’s been such a flagrant breach of medical secrecy. It’s not a good message for doctors,” Abraham said.

Neither Masmejean, who has been suspended from his hospital job, nor the victim were present for Wednesday’s ruling.

The surgeon may yet face professional consequences after appearing before the French medical association in September, his lawyer Ivan Terel said.

SHOW COMMENTS