SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Gunman at French camp shootout was drunk

UPDATED: Investigators have revealed that a drunken man was behind the fatal shooting of four people at a traveller camp in northern France on Tuesday.

Gunman at French camp shootout was drunk
Members of the gendarmes forensic unit set up a workspace on a road near a traveller camp. Photo: Philippe Huguen/AFP

The suspect is accused of killing three members of the same family, including a 19-year-old woman, her nine-month-old daughter and her father-in-law at a campsite in the northern town of Roye, about 110 kilometres north of Paris.

The man is also accused of shooting a policeman who was badly wounded in the attack and later died of his injuries.

Two other people – a policeman and a three-year-old boy were also injured, but are in stable conditions.

Investigators said on Thursday that the gunman had a blood alcohol content of 2.28 grams/litre of alcohol in his blood stream – over four times the legal driving limit of 0.05 grams/litre.

According to Bernard Farret, the prosecutor in the case, the suspect fired around 30 shots following a year-long feud between himself and the family. 

(Police officers investigate at the traveller camp. Photo: Philippe Huguen/AFP)
“There was an argument with remarks exchanged between the family and himself a year ago,” Ferret said, adding that the shooting had occurred following an intervention by police.

 

Speaking after the attack Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve described the case as “tragic”, saying the family had been “decimated by the killer”.

President Francois Hollande and Prime Minister Manuel Valls also expressed shock over the incident, sending their condolences to the families of the dead and wounded.

“My thoughts are with the families, with the victims and the policeman killed in the service of France,” said Valls on Twitter.

In a statement released by his office, Hollande hailed the “courage and commitment” of the police officers who responded to the incident, extending condolences to the families of those killed and injured in the attack.



(The town of Roye, north of Paris. Photo: GoogleMaps)   

CRIME

Frenchman extradited to US on hacking charges pleads not guilty

Frenchman Sebastien Raoult pleaded not guilty to cybercrimes Friday in Seattle federal court, two days after he was extradited from Morocco.

Frenchman extradited to US on hacking charges pleads not guilty

Federal Judge Michelle Peterson told the 21-year-old Raoult that he was charged with nine counts, including conspiracy, computer intrusion, wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.

Raoult listened through an interpreter.

After Raoult’s plea of not guilty, the judge ordered him to be detained as a flight risk until a hearing April 3.

Moroccan authorities arrested Raoult at Rabat airport May 31 at the request of the US Department of Justice. Along with Raoult, two other French nationals were also arrested, Gabriel Bildstein, 23, and Abdel-Hakim El-Ahmadi, 22.

According to Raoult’s indictment, he and the other two men are alleged to have formed a hacking team, dubbed “ShinyHunters,” to steal confidential data from 60 companies to sell on the dark web where criminals routinely operate.

Some of the companies are located in the Seattle area.

According to experts, beginning in 2020, the hackers stole customer data from the Indonesian e-commerce site Tokopedia, the US clothing brand Bonobos, the US telecom AT&T and many other companies, putting the personal data for sale on the dark web.

The criminal charges carry a possible jail term of up to 27 years in prison.

SHOW COMMENTS