SHARE
COPY LINK

ISIS

France condemns Isis terror acts in Libya

The French government joined those of the US, Germany, Italy, Spain and Britain to issue a joint statement on Sunday condemning "barbaric" acts carried out by the Islamic State group in Libya.

France condemns Isis terror acts in Libya
Isis militants seized control of the Libyan coastal city of Sirte in June and militants beheaded 12 local militiamen who had been battling them in the east of the city and hung their bodies on crosses, the official news agency LANA has said.
   
“We are deeply concerned about reports that these fighters have shelled densely populated parts of the city and committed indiscriminate acts of
violence to terrorize the Libyan population,” reads the joint statement released late Sunday by the US State Department.
   
The governments want parties in Libya “to join efforts to combat the threat posed by transnational terrorist groups exploiting Libya for their own agenda.”
   
The situation in Sirte underscores the “urgent need for parties in Libya to reach agreement on forming a government of national accord that, in
partnership with the international community, can provide security against violent extremist groups seeking to destabilize the country,” the statement reads.
   
“There is no military solution to the political conflict in Libya,” it adds.
   
Libya has descended into chaos since the fall of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011, with two administrations and rival militias battling for control of the oil-rich country.
   
The internationally recognized Libyan government based in the country's east has asked for an extraordinary meeting of the Arab League urging Arab countries to “adopt measures to confront” the jihadist Isis group.

ISIS

Macron says Isis defeat removes ‘significant threat’ to France

President Emmanuel Macron said Saturday that the fall of the last bastion held by Islamic State (Isis) jihadists in Syria removed a source of potential terror attacks against France by fighters based in the so-called "caliphate".

Macron says Isis defeat removes 'significant threat' to France
Photo: AFP

“A significant threat to our country” has been “eliminated”, Macron said on Twitter, while warning that “the threat remains and the fight against terrorist groups must continue.”

Kurdish-led forces pronounced the death of the Islamic State group's nearly five-year-old “caliphate” on Saturday, after flushing out diehard jihadists from their very last bastion in eastern Syria.

Fighters of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces raised their yellow flag in Baghouz, the remote riverside village where diehard jihadists of a variety of nationalities made a desperate, dramatic last stand.

The SDF's victory capped a deadly six-month operation against the final remnants of the caliphate which once stretched across a vast swathe of Iraq and Syria, and held seven million people in its sway.    

READ ALSO: French 'Isis bride' recalls Islamic state 'chaos'

SHOW COMMENTS