SHARE
COPY LINK
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

MONACO

Monaco survive to join PSG in quarter-finals

French side Monaco joined PSG in the quarter-finals of the Champions League on Tuesday despite losing 2-0 to Arsenal. The Principality club went through on away goals after the tie finished 3-3 on aggregate.

Monaco survive to join PSG in quarter-finals
Monaco players celebrate after knocking out Arsenal. Photo: Bertrand Langlois/ AFP

Arsenal exited the Champions League on Tuesday despite winning their Champions League last 16 second leg clash 2-0 in Monaco but losing on the away goals rule after the tie finished 3-3 on aggregate.

A first-half goal by Olivier Giroud and then Aaron Ramsey 11 minutes from time gave the Gunners hope but desperate defending by Monaco saw them hold on to reach the quarter-finals in front of a for once packed stadium which included celebrities such as U2 frontman Bono.

Monaco emulated fellow Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain in eliminating a Premier League giant from this season's competition as PSG knocked out Chelsea also on away goals last week.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was gracious in defeat which ended for another season his ambition of winning the piece of silverware he most desires.

"We knew it would be very difficult to score that many goals," Wenger told BeIn Sport.

"We weren't realistic enough in our approach.

"It's not a question of if we deserved to go through but of being realistic and we made too many errors in the first leg.

"We have to congratulate Monaco for their place in the last eight as they defended really well.

"In the last three months we haven't lacked in anything except our performance in the first leg.

"We have a superb spirit and great qualities," added the Frenchman, who first made his name as a top level coach at Monaco.

Arsenal skipper Per Mertesacker, who was one of the players singled out for criticism after the first leg debacle, concurred with Wenger.

"The best team went through," said Mertesacker. "Monaco deserved it because they played much better in the first leg.

"We played well today but it was a massive deficit, and it wasn't enough tonight.

"We came here and tried absolutely everything, and when you look at the game we could have scored more than two."

Manchester City will endeavour to save English football's honour on Wednesday when they bid to overturn a 2-1 deficit from the first leg against Barcelona in the forbidding surroundings of the Camp Nou.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MONACO

Billionaire owner of Monaco football club taken into custody

The Russian billionaire owner of Monaco football club was in custody Tuesday, his lawyer confirmed, the latest twist in his legal battle with a Swiss art dealer who he claims cheated him of up to one billion dollars and Sotheby's auctioneers.

Billionaire owner of Monaco football club taken into custody
Dmitry Rybolovlev. Photo: AFP

The Russian billionaire owner of Monaco football club was in custody Tuesday, his lawyer confirmed, the latest twist in his legal battle with a Swiss art dealer who he claims cheated him of up to one billion dollars and Sotheby's auctioneers.

Police officers also carried out a search Tuesday morning of Dmitry Rybolovlev's luxury penthouse apartment in the principality, said a source close to the case.

Rybolovlev's lawyer Herve Temine confirmed the latest developments, while stressing the principle of the presumption of innocence.

Temine's colleague Thomas Giaccardi said the latest move came after the seizure and analysis of a mobile phone belonging to one of Rybolovlev's lawyers, Tetiana Bersheda.

Since 2015, Rybolovlev has been locked in a legal battle with Swiss art dealer Yves Bouvier, who he accuses of having swindled him out of up to a billion dollars, by charging inflated fees.

When Rybolovlev's lawyer Bersheda produced an audio recording from her mobile phone that she said supported his case, the investigating magistrate in the case ordered text messages from the same phone to be extracted.

That led to Monaco prosecutors opening a corruption investigation against Rybolovlev in 2017.

His legal team has repeatedly argued that this analysis of the phone was a violation of the lawyer-client confidentiality. That issue is still being fought out in court, but some of the compromising text messages have already been leaked to the French press.

On October 2 this year, Rybolovlev opened a new front in his legal battle, launching a $380-million (333-million-euros) lawsuit against Sotheby's auction house through the New York courts.

In it, he accused the auction house of having helped Bouvier, their art advisor, carry out “the largest art fraud in history” — at his expense.

Rybolovlev says Bouvier tricked him over the acquisition of 38 works of art he bought from him over a decade for more than $2.1 billion.

“He repeatedly and blatantly misrepresented the acquisition prices for the paintings,” pocketing the difference himself, says the lawsuit.

Sotheby's has dismissed the lawsuit as “entirely without merit”.

In November 2017, it filed its own lawsuit against Rybolovlev in Switzerland and is seeking to have the action in New York dismissed.

SHOW COMMENTS