French far right’s Le Pen senior hurt in house fire

The founder and honorary president of France's National Front party, Jean-Marie Le Pen, was slightly injured on Monday in an accidental fire at his house outside Paris.

French far right's Le Pen senior hurt in house fire
Jean-Marie Le Pen, pictured here with his daughter Marine, was injured at a house fire near Paris on Monday. Photo: AFP

The fire at Le Pen's house in Rueil-Malmaison is thought to have started in a chimney where work was being carried out, the source said.

"The house burned, my father was inside," said Marine Le Pen, who now leads the National Front party that her 86-year-old father founded.

"His face was injured, but it is not serious, nothing to worry about," she told AFP.

The elder Le Pen "fell while trying to escape the flames", according to another source. Reports say he has been left with a black eye but did not need hospital treatment.

According to reports Le Pen and his wife Jany Pachos took refuge on the balcony until firefighters came.

He and his wife were looked after by firefighters, but did not require hospitalisation.

Le Parisien reported that around 40 firefighters were sent to the house and that the ground floor of the building was pretty much ruined by the blaze.

Le Pen set up the anti-immigrant and anti-establishment National Front party in 1972. His daughter took over the party in 2011 and has overseen a huge boost in its fortunes, with the party coming first in France's EU elections last year.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.