SHARE
COPY LINK

ISIS

Isis urges new attacks after Paris shootings

The Islamic State jihadist group Isis urged Muslims on Monday to carry out new attacks similar to the Paris shooting at the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, where 17 people were killed.

Isis urges new attacks after Paris shootings
France has bolstered security across the country since the attacks on Charlie Hebdo. Photo: AFP
Abu Mohamed al-Adnani, referring to attacks in France, Australia, Canada and Belgium, urged "Muslims in Europe and the infidel West to attack the Crusaders where they are".
   
"We promise that in the Christian bastions they will continue to live in a state of alert, of terror, of fear and insecurity… You have seen nothing yet," the recording said.
   
He added that the group would consider as "enemies" those Muslims who were able to carry out such attacks but failed to do so.
   
The threat is just the latest instance in which the jihadist group has urged Muslims to carry out attacks in the West.
   
It comes after 17 people were killed in deadly assaults on January 7-9 in Paris against Charlie Hebdo magazine and a kosher supermarket.
   
Of the three attackers, only one appeared to have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, but the group endorsed the killings in the message.
   
It also made reference to attacks last year in Australia, Canada and Belgium.
   
Western intelligence agencies have regularly raised the alarm about the possibility that Western sympathisers of IS and other jihadist groups could carry out attacks in the West.
   
Their concerns have been heightened by the thousands of Western recruits who have flocked to Syria and Iraq to fight alongside jihadist groups.

ISIS

Macron says Isis defeat removes ‘significant threat’ to France

President Emmanuel Macron said Saturday that the fall of the last bastion held by Islamic State (Isis) jihadists in Syria removed a source of potential terror attacks against France by fighters based in the so-called "caliphate".

Macron says Isis defeat removes 'significant threat' to France
Photo: AFP

“A significant threat to our country” has been “eliminated”, Macron said on Twitter, while warning that “the threat remains and the fight against terrorist groups must continue.”

Kurdish-led forces pronounced the death of the Islamic State group's nearly five-year-old “caliphate” on Saturday, after flushing out diehard jihadists from their very last bastion in eastern Syria.

Fighters of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces raised their yellow flag in Baghouz, the remote riverside village where diehard jihadists of a variety of nationalities made a desperate, dramatic last stand.

The SDF's victory capped a deadly six-month operation against the final remnants of the caliphate which once stretched across a vast swathe of Iraq and Syria, and held seven million people in its sway.    

READ ALSO: French 'Isis bride' recalls Islamic state 'chaos'

SHOW COMMENTS