France condemned a "barbaric" suicide bomb attack at a high school attached to the Institut Français, cultural centre.
"I firmly condemn this terrorist act which caused the death of several people and left many injured. There were no French victims," Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement.
He said crisis units had been set up both in Kabul and France to look into the latest in a string of attacks to hit the Afghan capital in recent weeks.
Fabius called for the perpetrators of the "barbaric act" to be identified and brought to justice.
The suspected bomber, who was around 16-years-old according to Afghanistan's deputy interior minister, detonated his suicide vest inside the Lycée Esteqlal, which is linked to the Institute Français.
The French embassy said that all French citizens were safe.
#AFG Am told,attacker was a teenager-he was inside French cultural center&was posing as a visitor watching Heartbeat silence after explosion— Bilal Sarwary (@bsarwary) December 11, 2014