SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Baby in French town swallows dad’s cannabis

A ten-month-old baby was rushed to hospital on Monday after ingesting a lump of cannabis belonging to her father, in the south-eastern French town of Vienne.

Baby in French town swallows dad's cannabis
The father admitted that the baby had ingested some of his cannabis accidentally. Cannabis photo: Shutterstock

The parents of the child, who was identified only as Lola in the French press, noticed something was wrong when she became weak and faint, France Bleu Isère reported.

They took the child to hospital where Lola was kept under observation for a few hours until she had recovered.

Doctors then allowed the family to return home. But later that evening at around 10pm the results of a blood test revealed that the baby had ingested cannabis.

A doctor at the hospital notified police, who then made their way to the family’s home to question Lola's parents.

When police arrived at the house they found the 22-year-old father in the process of rolling a joint.

Admitting that he had realised the reason for his child’s illness on their way to hospital, the father said that his daughter had ingested some cannabis that had fallen on to the floor.

As a precaution, the baby was taken back to the hospital where she was kept under observation for the night.

Social services are now investigating whether the parents are capable of looking after the child.   

Earlier this year The Local Italy reported that a mother of three in Sicily was jailed after her toddler son was admitted to hospital with bruises, scratches, burns and a suspected cocaine overdose.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

French courts drop rape case against film director Luc Besson

The Paris court of appeal on Tuesday confirmed the dropping of rape accusations against French film director Luc Besson, one of the highest profile controversies of the #MeToo era in the country.

French courts drop rape case against film director Luc Besson

Dutch-Belgian actress Sand Van Roy had accused Besson — director of the “Fifth Element” and “Leon” — of raping her over a two-year on-off relationship, and filed a complaint against him in May 2018.

Prosecutors dropped the case in February 2019 citing lack of evidence, but a new investigation was opened later that year after Van Roy brought fresh charges.

A French magistrate then closed the case in December 2021 and prosecutors asked for it to be dropped in April.

Besson had always denied the accusations, describing the case in 2019 as “a lie from A to Z”.

“The court confirmed my client’s innocence… Luc Besson regrets these four lost years,” his lawyer Thierry Marembert said after the verdict.

But Van Roy’s lawyer Antoine Gitton said an appeal would immediately be filed for his client with France’s Court of Cassation.

Besson has admitted having a relationship with Van Roy, who had minor roles in his films “Taxi 5” and “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets”.

She filed the initial complaint for rape in May 2018 hours after meeting Besson, before filing another complaint two months later for other alleged rapes and sexual assaults.

At least three other women have made allegations of sexual harassment against Besson but he has always denied all the allegations.

SHOW COMMENTS