SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Probe after journalist’s torso found in Paris

Police in Paris have been left mystified after a woman’s torso found in the French capital last week was identified as that of a French TV journalist.

Probe after journalist's torso found in Paris
Police are investigating what could have happened to a young female journalist, whose body was found on a Paris street. Photo: Lionel Bonaventure/AFP

The decomposed and dismembered body was found in a service duct underneath a street in the 18th arrondissement of Paris on September 24th.

After spending a week trying to identify the body, Paris detectives revealed this week that the torso belonged to a 33-year-old journalist, who has been named as only as Caroline C.   

A murder investigation has been opened, TF1 reports.

According to Metro News, Caroline C had been working for France Television in Cannes, on the French Riviera.

She was reported missing on August 20th, and her employer France 3 and her family both said they had not heard from her in a long time.

According to Le Parisien, the journalist had been on sick leave for several months, due to “psychological problems”.

Police sources also told Le Parisien they are investigating a mysterious burglary at the woman’s home in the 18th arrondissement.

“On September 18th, one or more strangers went into her home to steal her phone, a digital tablet and her purse,” a source close to the case told Le Parisien. “Those close to her thought she had gone back to pick up her things before leaving.”

Police then noticed that a camera, which was not in her apartment several days before the burglary, then mysteriously reappeared.

“The camera is currently being examined, but for the moment we cannot explain this strange fact,” a source told the paper.

The remains of Caroline C were discovered near Bichat hospital, where she had reportedly received treatment for "mood disorders". She was identified only through her fingerprints.

As police try to determine what may have happened to Caroline C, friends and family have paid tribute to the woman, who is originally from Alpes-Maritimes region of southern France.

“She had a huge heart and helped many homeless people. She suffered a lot in this life. She was such a lovely person, always sensitive and always spoke from the heart,” said her father.

Don't miss stories about France – join us on Facebook and Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

POLITICS

French minister apologises for Champions League chaos

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin on Tuesday made a partial apology for chaos at last month's Champions League final between Real Madrid and Liverpool in Paris, while insisting fake tickets and "delinquency" were mostly to blame.

French minister apologises for Champions League chaos

“Should things have been managed better at the Stade de France (stadium)? The answer is yes. Am I partly responsible? The answer is yes,” Darmanin told RTL radio.

“Of course, I readily apologise towards everyone who suffered from this bad management of the event,” he added.

After scenes of fans crowded into tight spaces and being tear-gassed by police caused outrage around Europe, Darmanin poured fuel on the fire by blaming supporters with fake tickets for the disruption.

UEFA events director Martin Kallen last week told French senators investigating the fiasco that the football body’s count of fake tickets was far short of the tens of thousands claimed by French authorities.

“We don’t believe it’s the number mentioned in France,” he said, adding that 2,600 fake tickets were identified at turnstiles — compared with the number of 30,000 to 40,000 people with fake tickets and without tickets suggested by Darmanin.

“It was a question of fake tickets… that created the difficulties we all know about” of large crowds of fans packed into underpasses or outside locked gates, Darmanin insisted Tuesday.

He added that “if there was something that went wrong at the Stade de France, it was the fight against delinquency”, saying he had already ordered a reorganisation of policing around the venue and that three major matches since had passed without incident.

While some supporters did report being victims of crime by gangs of youths before and after the match, there were also many complaints about police treatment of fans.

Disabled Liverpool fans last week told the Senate how officers sprayed tear gas at people in wheelchairs.

The English supporters have reacted with particular fury to Darmanin’s defence of the French police’s actions.

“People’s memories will forever be tarred by the lack of organisation and heavy-handed policing, and then of course the way authorities tried to deflect blame and scapegoat Liverpool fans for their incompetence,” Liverpool mayor Steve Rotheram told AFP earlier this month.

CCTV footage from around the stadium has also been deleted despite the Senate probe.

A government report published earlier this month said a “chain of failures” by French authorities has inflicted “severe damage” on the image of the country as it prepares to host the Olympic Games in 2024.

SHOW COMMENTS