A distributer of dog food in western France has issued an urgent recall of dog biscuits made by Active that are suspected to have led to the death of twenty pooches in the region.
PCEB stopped sales immediately when they were alerted by a customer, whose dog had suddenly died after eating the Spanish-made biscuits.
It is believed dozens of bags of the suspect dog food are still being given to pets after the company was unable to locate the customers.
According to AFP, around 200 customers bought the biscuits or “croquettes” as they are called in France, which are believed to have poisoned 20 dogs. Another three or four dogs in the neighbouring Isere region of France are also believed to have died as a result of consuming the toxic dog food.
Despite the fears, the boss of distributers PCEB said it had not yet been confirmed the dog biscuits were the cause of the deaths.
Jean Caizergues said tests on the product were ongoing.
“I have no information, that would allow me to know what killed these dogs,” he told AFP.
Pet shops in the region moved quickly to withdraw the Active dog biscuits from the shelves as soon as the alert went out.
Local authorities are also involved in the probe and are carrying out their own tests, but they too are waiting for the results.
According to reports the suspect dog biscuits are at the lower end of the market and are normally sold to breeders, hunting organisers and owners of hounds.