France braces for returning holiday traffic
Sophie Inge · 30 Aug 2013, 09:43
Published: 30 Aug 2013 09:43 GMT+02:00
- France set for weekend of traffic mayhem (09 Aug 13)
- France set for ‘black' Saturday on roads (02 Aug 13)
Traffic forecaster Bison Futé has advised France’s returning holidaymakers to revise their travelling plans, as warnings have been issued for the entire weekend, with the worst congestion expected to hit the south west of the country.
Those who have waited until now to leave France's bigger cities for their holidays, on the other hand, will enjoy normal traffic levels.
Here’s a round-up of the situation on France’s roads this weekend:
Friday, August 30th
· An orange warning, the second-highest level of traffic warning, has been issued for returning traffic throughout the country.
· Motorists travelling in the south-east of the country are advised against using the A7, A8 and A9 motorways between 11am and 9pm.
· Those travelling between Bordeaux and Paris are advised against using the A10 where heavy traffic is expected between 3pm and 8pm, or even 10pm for Paris.
Saturday, August 31st
· Throughout France returning traffic will be subject to orange alert, meaning traffic will be heavy and traffic flow globally or locally difficult.
· Traffic will be worst in the south west of the country where it is subject to a red alert, meaning traffic will be very heavy and difficult.
· In particular, those travelling home from Spain will encounter the most difficulties on the A63 to Bordeaux and on the A10 towards Paris between 11am and 9pm.
· Motorists are advised to avoid major roads in the north between 3pm and 8pm, and 10pm for Paris.
Sunday, September 1st
· Little relief is expected on Sunday when returning traffic will still be subject to an orange alert.
· Once again motorists are advised to stay away from the A7, A8, A9 and A63 motorways in the afternoon between 4pm and 9pm.
· In the north of the country the A6, A10, A13 and N118 are expected to bear the brunt of the traffic between 3pm and 10pm.
· Motorists returning to Paris are advised not to use the A10 motorway between 3pm and 11pm.
For more traffic information for France, consult Bison Futé (in English) throughout the weekend.