SHARE
COPY LINK

RUGBY

Biarritz quarantine squad over mumps scare

Biarritz have put their entire first team squad in quarantine after an outbreak of the mumps, the French Rugby League (LNR) said Friday.

Biarritz quarantine squad over mumps scare
A Basque house flying the BOPB flag. Photo: Wikimedia

Fly-half Julien Peyrelongue has caught the mumps while back-row Benoit Guyot is suspected of also being infected.

The Basques' squad has been placed in quarantine until Thursday next week while their Top 14 clash with Catalans Perpignan has been pushed back from April 13th to April 14th.

"Following BOBP's statement that they have two cases of the mumps, the league's medical commission has, as a precautionary measure, banned the club's players and coaches from meeting up from April 5th to April 11th, inclusive," the LNR said in a statement.

The quarantine period would normally last nine days but has been reduced to seven as all Biarritz's players had already been vaccinated.

Peyrelongue and Guyot were left out of the reigning Challenge Cup holders' 41-31 quarter-final victory at Gloucester in that competition on Thursday night.

The match against Perpignan has been delayed 24 hours to offer the Basques an extra day of preparation due to the disruption their quarantine will cause.

The outbreak comes less than a month after fellow Top 14 giants Toulouse cancelled all training sessions for a week over another mumps scare.

Mumps, a common viral disease in childhood, causes swelling of the glands and can be rather more serious when contracted in adulthood, with occasional complications.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

RUGBY

French rugby mourns death of fourth young player in months

French rugby was left mourning the death of a 23-year-old student on Monday, the fourth young player to have died in eight months.

French rugby mourns death of fourth young player in months
Photo: AFP

Nathan Soyeux, who was not registered with the French rugby federation (FFR), passed away in Dijon on Sunday, having been admitted to hospital after an adverse reaction to a tackle in a match at a tournament for engineering schools on November 24.

Soyeux sustained the blow whilst being tackled by an opponent and was at first able to sit up before complaining of nausea and then losing consciousness.

Taken to Dijon hospital, the player was put in an induced coma for two weeks, but his health deteriorated following efforts to bring him around, according to his engineering school, Esirem.

Soyeux becomes the fourth young French player since May to die after being injured during a match.

In December, Stade Francais youth flanker Nicolas Chauvin, 18, died after breaking his neck. In August Louis Fajfrowski, 21, died following a heavy tackle playing for Aurillac and in May 17-year-old Adrien Descrulhes passed away a day after receiving a blow to the head playing for amateur club Billom.

Chauvin's death prompted France's Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu to call on rugby authorities to make the game safer, with the former Olympic swimmer saying she would meet FFR president Bernard Laporte to discuss ways of preventing more deaths.

The FFR confirmed in December it will put together a global forum alongside World Rugby, the sport's governing body, to discuss player health and the evolution of the game's laws in March 2019 in France.

SHOW COMMENTS