SHARE
COPY LINK

KIDNAP

Nigeria rules out ransom for kidnapped French

Nigeria on Saturday ruled out a ransom payment to the kidnappers holding seven members of a French family as France's foreign minister held talks with President Goodluck Jonathan on the abductions.

Nigeria rules out ransom for kidnapped French

Seven French nationals, including four children under the age of 12, were kidnapped last month in Cameroon near the northeastern border with Nigeria.

France has said the radical Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram carried out the attack and they are holding the family in Nigeria.

In a video posted online that showed the hostages, the kidnappers said they were members of Boko Haram.

"As part of our own policy, we don't pay ransom to terrorists but we would do everything possible to ensure that those terrorists are able to release their captives without any harm coming (to) them," Nigeria's Foreign Minister Olugbenga Ashiru told journalists alongside his French counterpart Laurent Fabius.

Fabius, who visited Cameroon on Friday, had met with Nigeria's president before addressing reporters.

"Of course, we raised the subject of hostages," Fabius said of his meeting with Jonathan. "There are eight French hostages that are in Nigeria…We truly (and) very deeply wish that the French hostages can be freed."

Aside from the seven family members, a French engineer was also kidnapped in northern Nigeria's Katsina state back in December. That attack was claimed by Islamist group Ansaru, which is considered an offshoot of Boko Haram.

Boko Haram, blamed for killing hundreds in northern and central Nigeria since 2009, had not previously been known to target foreign hostages, with experts describing it as having a largely domestic focus.

Ansaru, a newer group, seems to have prioritised the abduction of expatriates. It claimed the kidnapping and execution of seven foreigners from Bauchi state this year.

Despite the video claim from purported Boko Haram members, analysts say there is still uncertainty as to who is holding the French family, with some experts suggesting the motive for the attack may have been financial rather than political.

France has warned its citizens in the region of increased risk following the Paris-led campaign to flush Islamist rebels out of Mali.

Ashiru thanked Fabius for France's offensive in Mali, saying an Islamist takeover there would have put the whole west African sub-region at risk.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

KIDNAP

Kidnapped Riviera millionaire left tied up in car boot in Nice

The millionaire Riviera business woman who was kidnapped in broad daylight in Nice two days ago has been found alive after being abandoned by her kidnappers.

Kidnapped Riviera millionaire left tied up in car boot in Nice
Photo: AFP

Jacqueline Veyrac, the 76-year-old millionaire head of the Grand Hotel in Cannes, was kidnapped in Nice in front of shocked onlookers in the middle of the day on Monday.

But on Wednesday, two days after disappearing, French media reported that Veyrac had been found alive in Nice.

According to reports she was found after being bound then abandoned in the boot of a vehicle. The business woman managed to get out of her own accord and seek help from neighbours. 

She had suffered what were described as light injuries. Two men were also reportedly arrested following her appearance.

Police had been desperately hunting for the woman, who on Monday had been forced into a car by kidnappers while several passers-by looked on.

The freesheet French daily 20 Minutes quoted the family's lawyer Sophie Jonquet as saying the kidnappers contacted one of Veyrac's sons on Monday afternoon.

“The family is very upset and won't make any statements at this stage. Too much has already been said and I don't want to put my client in danger,” she told the paper.

Veyrac, whose husband died five years ago, co-owns the five-star Grand Hotel in nearby Cannes with one of her sons and the pair run a gourmet restaurant in Nice called La Reserve.

She was the victim of a kidnapping attempt three years ago whose motive was never discovered.

SHOW COMMENTS