Advertisement

Two new arrests over Merah shooting spree

AFP
AFP - [email protected]
Two new arrests over Merah shooting spree
A screen-grab of Mohamed Merah. Photo: France 2/AFP

French police have arrested two men in connection with last year's attacks by extremist gunman Mohamed Merah, whose shooting spree in and around the southern city of Toulouse left seven people dead.

Advertisement

A source close to the investigation said the two men, aged 28 and 30, were arrested on Tuesday in Toulouse and brought to Paris for questioning. Under French anti terrorism laws, they can be held for up to four days without charge.

A judicial source said the men were acquaintances of Merah and had been placed under surveillance at the weekend.

French police are investigating whether Merah had any accomplices in carrying out his attacks last March, with officials saying they doubt he acted alone.

A self-described Al-Qaeda sympathizer, Merah shot a rabbi, three Jewish schoolchildren and three French paratroopers before being shot dead in a police siege in Toulouse.

In early December, a 38-year-old man and his girlfriend were arrested in connection with the attacks but both were later released without charge.

Merah's brother Abdelkader has been charged as as accomplice and remains in custody.

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also