SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Croatian football fans in major Paris brawl

Around 80 Dinamo Zagreb football fans were arrested in a Paris hotel on Tuesday, just hours before the Croatian team was due to take on Paris Saint Germain.

The arrest came after supporters from the two teams clashed in street fights on the eve of their Champions League game. Interior Minister Manuel Valls had on Sunday imposed a travel ban on Dinamo fans coming to France for the match.

The scuffles on Monday evening ended with 24 people arrested and left one Croat supporter seriously injured, said police, who intervened at the popular night haunt of Place de la Bastille and restored calm shortly before midnight (2300 GMT).

Valls said on Sunday he imposed the travel ban because he considered there was a real chance of "serious incidents occurring should fans from both sides come across each other".

He added he was informed by Croatian authorities that 150 to 200 violent supporters from a gang called the "Blue Bad Boys" would be travelling without tickets for the match.

As a result of this information Valls had decided to forbid "from November 5 to midday November 7, the travel either individually or as a group, by road, rail or air of all Dinamo supporters to French border points and the Ile-de-France region (the Paris area)".

Some 80 PSG fans were stopped on the Slovenian border with Croatia and refused entry last month on their way to the two sides' match there.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FOOTBALL

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage

French prosecutors on Friday called for a 15-year prison sentence for one of two Russians accused of beating a British supporter during Euro 2016, an attack that left him with brain injuries.

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage
Russian fans light flares at the match against England in 2016.. Photo: AFP

One prosecutor, Christophe Raffin, asked for the “legal maximum… between 14 and 15 years” for Pavel Kossov, who is accused of throwing the first punch at 55-year-old Andrew Bache.

Bache was injured in the violence that broke out before England played Russia in the southern French port city of Marseille on June 11th, 2016.

The second Russian on trial in Aix-en-Provence, Mikhail Ivkine, stands accused of throwing a chair at the victim, with prosecutors asking for a potential suspended sentence of up to five years.

He has claimed he was defending himself.

“No, it wasn't legitimate self-defence, it was illegitimate use of force against Andrew Bache,” Raffin said of the violence.

 

Police give emergency aid to Andrew Bache following clashes in the city of Marseille. Photo: AFP

The prosecutors said the Russians were part of a group of about 150 men, many with martial arts training, who wrought havoc in Marseille.

Bache, from Portsmouth in southern England, has no memory of the events and is too frail to attend the trial.

His son Harry, who nurses his father, is representing him in court.

SHOW COMMENTS