Ten injured in nightclub shooting

Ten people were wounded when a man opened fire on clients inside a nightclub in the town of Bertry in the north of France. 

A gunman attacked clients at the nightclub “Le Vamos” after staff at the door refused him entry in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The man refused to leave the premises and returned with a shotgun at 4.30am and started shooting outside and inside the nightclub. Luckily, the gunman was not using real bullets but shotgun shells.

Ten people sustained minor injuries in the attack and were taken to a nearby hospital. Three other clients were treated for shock.

After the attack, the gunman left the premises in his car. Three suspects, including the main suspect, his girlfriend and the driver of the vehicle, were later arrested by France’s elite counter-terrorism force the GIGN near the town of Cambrai. 

The attack comes a week after a similar incident in the northern city of Lille. On Sunday, a man opened fire in a nightclub in Lille, killing one person.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

A Frenchwoman and a Spaniard were killed and nine other mountaineers were injured on Friday in an ice fall in southwest Switzerland, police said following a rescue attempt involving several helicopters.

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

Police received calls at 6.20 am reporting that mountaineers had been caught up in falling seracs — columns of glacial ice formed by crevasses — on the Grand Combin, a glacial massif near the Italian border in the Wallis region.

Seven helicopters with mountain rescue experts flew to the scene, finding 17 mountaineers split among several groups.

“Two people died at the scene of the accident,” Wallis police said in a statement. They were a 40-year-old Frenchwoman and a 65-year-old man from Spain.

Nine mountaineers were airlifted to hospitals in nearby Sion and in Lausanne. Two of them are seriously injured, police said.

Other mountaineers were evacuated by helicopter.

The regional public prosecutor has opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances of this event”, the police said.

The serac fall happened at an altitude of 3,400 metres in the Plateau de Dejeuner section along the Voie du Gardien ascent route.

The Grand Combin massif has three summits above 4,000 metres, the highest of which is the Combin de Grafeneire at 4,314 metres.

The police issued a note of caution about setting off on such high-altitude expeditions.

“When the zero-degree-Celsius isotherm is around 4,000 metres above sea level, it is better to be extra careful or not attempt the route if in doubt,” Wallis police said.

“The golden rule is to find out beforehand from the mountain guides about the chosen route and its current feasibility.”