Police attacked for stopping teen Facebook party

Police were met with insults and stone-throwing after being called to a teenager's birthday party in Paris that had spiralled out of control. The youngster had issued invitations to the party on Facebook.

Police offciers in the 17th arrondissement in Paris were attacked when they sought to evacuate the building on Saturday night after the birthday boy’s mother called in the police.

Over 150 teenagers wanted to attend a teenager’s party after he published invitations on several social networks including Facebook, French daily Le Parisien reports.

His mother, who was not named by the French press, was alarmed by the number of guests turning up at the door and called the police. But when the police tried to send the teenagers home they received a cold welcome. 

Several guests threw objects and insulted police officers, Le Parisien reports. The violence left one of the officiers with a wounded hand.

In April, 50,000 people signed up to attend the birthday party of a 14-year-old boy near the town of Clermont-Ferrand after his facebook invitation went viral.

Police considered closing the street where he lived to prevent rioting. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

A Frenchwoman and a Spaniard were killed and nine other mountaineers were injured on Friday in an ice fall in southwest Switzerland, police said following a rescue attempt involving several helicopters.

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

Police received calls at 6.20 am reporting that mountaineers had been caught up in falling seracs — columns of glacial ice formed by crevasses — on the Grand Combin, a glacial massif near the Italian border in the Wallis region.

Seven helicopters with mountain rescue experts flew to the scene, finding 17 mountaineers split among several groups.

“Two people died at the scene of the accident,” Wallis police said in a statement. They were a 40-year-old Frenchwoman and a 65-year-old man from Spain.

Nine mountaineers were airlifted to hospitals in nearby Sion and in Lausanne. Two of them are seriously injured, police said.

Other mountaineers were evacuated by helicopter.

The regional public prosecutor has opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances of this event”, the police said.

The serac fall happened at an altitude of 3,400 metres in the Plateau de Dejeuner section along the Voie du Gardien ascent route.

The Grand Combin massif has three summits above 4,000 metres, the highest of which is the Combin de Grafeneire at 4,314 metres.

The police issued a note of caution about setting off on such high-altitude expeditions.

“When the zero-degree-Celsius isotherm is around 4,000 metres above sea level, it is better to be extra careful or not attempt the route if in doubt,” Wallis police said.

“The golden rule is to find out beforehand from the mountain guides about the chosen route and its current feasibility.”