A panel of Mexico Supreme Court judges ruled Wednesday against releasing French woman Florence Cassez, sentenced to 60 years for kidnap, but agreed to further study her appeal.

"/> A panel of Mexico Supreme Court judges ruled Wednesday against releasing French woman Florence Cassez, sentenced to 60 years for kidnap, but agreed to further study her appeal.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

MEXICO

Mexico denies French woman’s release

A panel of Mexico Supreme Court judges ruled Wednesday against releasing French woman Florence Cassez, sentenced to 60 years for kidnap, but agreed to further study her appeal.

Mexico denies French woman's release
Dave Nakayama

Justice Arturo Zaldivar had recommended Cassez’s release due to irregularities in her trial, after a long legal battle which has strained diplomatic relations and divided opinion in a country where kidnapping is rife. 

Five Supreme Court justices ruled 3-2 against granting Cassez her immediate freedom, but four also said her rights had been violated.

“I’d have liked to see her release but I think we have a great victory,” Cassez’s lawyer, Agustin Acosta, said.

The decision “opens the debate to discuss the irregularities (in the case) of Florence Cassez.”

A court official later told AFP that Justice Olga Sanchez, who voted in favour of Cassez’s release, would make a new recommendation to the five-member panel, without giving a timeframe.

Mexican authorities have presented the arrest of Cassez and her ex-boyfriend Israel Vallarta, in late 2005, as a spectacular success in the fight against rampant kidnappings.

The attorney general’s office hailed Wednesday’s ruling as a “victory” for the victims and stood by its prosecution of Cassez for organized crime, kidnapping and weapons possession.

But Zaldivar wrote that the proceedings had been flawed, criticizing the police’s role in a TV setup showing a “live” raid on a ranch to free three kidnap victims. The raid actually took place hours after the suspects were detained elsewhere.

He also criticized the failure to respect the presumption of innocence or to immediately present Cassez to consular and legal officials.

Cassez’s mother, speaking in Paris, said she was “sad, disappointed and shocked” at the decision by the Mexican court.

“We can’t lose hope… We must once more keep up the fight,” a visibly emotional Charlotte Cassez told reporters in the French capital.

Her daughter’s French lawyer Frank Berton called the situation “a massive judicial impasse.”

“I am convinced that (President Felipe) Calderon made this a personal matter,” Berton insisted. “This is a real international scandal.”

The case has strained diplomatic relations between Mexico and France.

Mexico’s government even canceled a year of Mexican cultural celebrations in France after French President Nicolas Sarkozy said he would dedicate  them to Cassez.

Families of Mexican kidnap victims have meanwhile expressed outrage at Cassez’s possible release.

“Today, we the victims are confident that justice will finally prevail and that a person accused of kidnapping has not been let out free,” said Isabel Miranda de Wallace, director of the organization “Stop Kidnappings” and candidate for mayor of Mexico City from Calderon’s conservative party.

Cassez, who is now 37 and has spent more than six years in a Mexican jail, has denied any knowledge of the crimes and claims the authorities made an example of her.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

AUCTION

Paris Sotheby’s auction draws wrath of Mexico

Mexico has asked France to withdraw 130 Mexican pieces from an auction planned this week in Paris at Sotheby's. Guatemala has also protested that 13 of its archeological treasures will also go under the hammer at the same auction.

Paris Sotheby's auction draws wrath of Mexico
File photo of Mayan artefacts found in Mexico. Photo: Moyses Zuniga/AFP

Auctions like this "strip these unique and priceless goods of their cultural, historic and symbolic essence, turning them into merchandise or mere novelties," the National Institute of Anthropology and History said.

The Mexican government has been opposed to the auction since it saw the catalog for it. The sale is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.

Mexican experts have analyzed the catalogue and concluded that, of the 130 piece billed as being from Mexico, 51 are "archeological pieces that belong to the nation" and the rest are handicraft pieces of recent making.

The anthropology and history institute asked France to intervene and halt the sale.

But the institute did not explain why it also wants 59 pieces it said are of recent manufacture to also be spared from the auctioneer's block.

Mexico's request follows a similar one made by Guatemala earlier this month over 13 archeological treasures that will be sold at the same Sotherby's  auction.

Guatemalan law "prohibits the sale and export of all articles that make up our cultural heritage, such as archaeological pieces," the Guatemalan Culture Ministry said in a statement.

It did not indicate which particular artefacts were in question, among the figurines, jewellery, masks, vessels and furniture being sold for an estimated €1,000 to €3 million ($1,300 to $3.9 million).

 The Culture Ministry insisted that the pieces were "the unique, exclusive and legitimate property of the state of Guatemala."

Authorities in the Central American nation expect their colleagues in France to "intervene and enforce the requests made by the parties involved in Latin American countries," the statement added.

"You cannot allow private collectors to unlawfully enrich themselves at the expense of the Americas' pre-Hispanic cultural heritage."

The catalogue of the collection to be sold at the Sotheby's auction can be viewed here.

SHOW COMMENTS