SHARE
COPY LINK

JUSTICE

Guerlain in ‘immigrant rant’ when turned away from Eurostar

Famed perfumer Jean-Paul Guerlain has been accused of making racist comments and calling France a 'shit country' after being refused entry to the Eurostar, only weeks after he appeared in court on racism charges.

“France is a shit country, this is a shit company and we are are served only by immigrants,” 75-year-old Guerlain allegedly told three black and Asian employees on the Eurostar, radio France Info reports.

The staff say Guerlain arrived late to catch the Eurostar and was denied access to the train. He allegedly exploded in anger and insulted the three Eurostar employees.

Speaking on France Info, one of the employees says Guerlain’s comments were “full of contempt” and were made worse by the fact that the staff “were there to help him.” The three Eurostar employees were helping him on the platform in his wheelchair.

They have lodged a complaint.

The incident comes a month after Guerlain was on trial for saying racist comments during an interview on French television. He said “I worked like a nigger. I don’t know if niggers have always worked like that, but anyway.”

The comments sparked outrage from anti-racism groups and demonstrations in front of Guerlain shops.

Last month, he told the court that he regretted his “idiotic” comments.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

COURT

French court orders Twitter to reveal anti-hate speech efforts

A French court has ordered Twitter to give activists full access to all its documents relating to efforts to combat racism, sexism and other forms of hate speech on the social network.

French court orders Twitter to reveal anti-hate speech efforts
Photo: Alastair Pike | AFP

Six anti-discrimination groups had taken Twitter to court in France last year, accusing the US social media giant of “long-term and persistent” failures in blocking hateful comments from the site.

The Paris court ordered Twitter to grant the campaign groups full access to all documents relating to the company’s efforts to combat hate speech since May 2020. The ruling applies to Twitter’s global operation, not just France.

Twitter must hand over “all administrative, contractual, technical or commercial documents” detailing the resources it has assigned to fighting homophobic, racist and sexist discourse on the site, as well as “condoning crimes against humanity”.

The San Francisco-based company was given two months to comply with the ruling, which also said it must reveal how many moderators it employs in France to examine posts flagged as hateful, and data on the posts they process.

The ruling was welcomed by the Union of French Jewish Students (UEJF), one of the groups that had taken the social media giant to court.

“Twitter will finally have to take responsibility, stop equivocating and put ethics before profit and international expansion,” the UEJF said in a statement on its website.

Twitter’s hateful conduct policy bans users from promoting violence, or threatening or attacking people based on their race, religion, gender identity or disability, among other forms of discrimination.

Like other social media businesses it allows users to report posts they believe are hateful, and employs moderators to vet the content.

But anti-discrimination groups have long complained that holes in the policy allow hateful comments to stay online in many cases.

French prosecutors on Tuesday said they have opened an investigation into a wave of racist comments posted on Twitter aimed at members of the country’s national football team.

The comments, notably targeting Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe, were posted after France was eliminated from the Euro 2020 tournament last week.

France has also been having a wider public debate over how to balance the right to free speech with preventing hate speech, in the wake of the controversial case of a teenager known as Mila.

The 18-year-old sparked a furore last year when her videos, criticising Islam in vulgar terms, went viral on social media.

Thirteen people are on trial accused of subjecting her to such vicious harassment that she was forced to leave school and was placed under police protection.

While President Emmanuel Macron is among those who have defended her right to blaspheme, left-wing critics say her original remarks amounted to hate speech against Muslims.

SHOW COMMENTS