The body of a man who died three years ago was not discovered until one of his neighbour's heard a radio playing in his apartment.

"/> The body of a man who died three years ago was not discovered until one of his neighbour's heard a radio playing in his apartment.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

DEATH

Man lies dead for three years before discovery

The body of a man who died three years ago was not discovered until one of his neighbour's heard a radio playing in his apartment.

The grim discovery in an apartment block in the eastern city of Strasbourg was made at the weekend after the neighbour called police about the radio which had been at full blast, day and night, for two weeks, reported regional newspaper Dernières Nouvelles d’Alsace (DNA).

When police entered the apartment, they found it filled with pigeons which had got in through a window. They believe one of them had switched on the radio by sitting on it.

The man’s death had not been alerted to any authorities as his rent had continued to be paid by direct debit from his bank account. 

Police said the death of the man, who was born in 1931 and died aged 78, appeared to be from natural causes. 

“People don’t really known each other much,” said one resident, reported the DNA newspaper.

The man had lived in the apartment block since 1976, but those living there change frequently. “You only really know your immediate neighbours,” said another resident.

The head of the company that runs the building told the newspaper that he was shocked by the death.

“I’ve seen cases of people being found one or two months after their death, but never three years,” said Bernard Matter.

“We will look at other things we can do such as an alert when there is a very low consumption of water.”

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

STRASBOURG

Death toll from Strasbourg attack rises to five

A fifth victim wounded during an attack at a Christmas market in the French city of Strasbourg died on Sunday, authorities and relatives said.

Death toll from Strasbourg attack rises to five
Photo: AFP

The prosecutor's office confirmed Sunday that a Polish national had died after being injured by Cherif Chekatt in Tuesday's rampage.

“My brother Barto Pedro Orent-Niedzielski has just passed away. He thanks you for the love and strength you have given him,” the brother of the 36-year-old victim from the Polish city of Katowice wrote on Facebook.

Chekatt, 29, attacked Christmas market shoppers armed with a gun and a knife, before being killed by police two days later.

Orent-Niedzielski and his Italian friend Antonio Megalizzi had tried to stop Chekatt from entering a bar during Tuesday's assault, a close friend told AFP.

Megalizzi, 28, died from his injuries on Friday. 

Nicknamed “Bartek”, Orent-Niedzielski had lived in Strasbourg for 20 years, according to his friend.

Eleven people were also injured in the bloodbath, with several still in a critical condition.

SHOW COMMENTS