French breast implant manufacturer PIP used a fuel additive in its now-banned implants which the company knew were defective as early as 2005, it was revealed on Monday.

"/> French breast implant manufacturer PIP used a fuel additive in its now-banned implants which the company knew were defective as early as 2005, it was revealed on Monday.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

HEALTH

French breast implant firm used fuel additive

French breast implant manufacturer PIP used a fuel additive in its now-banned implants which the company knew were defective as early as 2005, it was revealed on Monday.

French breast implant firm used fuel additive
Webphotographeer (File)

The growing litany of accusations against now-defunct Poly Implant Prothese has triggered a worldwide scare with several countries, including France, advising thousands of women to have the implants removed.

France’s RTL radio said it obtained an exact breakdown of the materials used in the faulty implants, including Baysilone, Silopren and Rhodorsil, all of which are industrial products never tested or approved for clinical use.

The products, used in the oil or rubber industries, allegedly contributed to the silicone gel implants having a high rupture rate.

French authorities including health safety agency AFSSAPS already knew that the implants contained industrial rather than medical quality silicone, but this is the first time the use of petroleum industry additives has been reported.

“According to the AFSSAPS, it was known that this was an unsuitable gel, usually used in food manufacturing or for computers,” a doctor advising implant wearers, Dominique-Michel Courtois, told AFP.

But “there was no way of knowing that the gel contained an additive for fuel. That’s why we want implants removed from patients to be analysed themselves,” added a lawyer for implant wearers, Philippe Courtois.

AFSSAPS previously carried out tests on implants seized at PIP’s factory in the south of France in March 2010.

A lawyer for PIP’s 72-year-old founder Jean-Claude Mas sought to play down the importance of the use of oil and rubber additives.

“These are food products, used to make beauty products, bought from (chemical giant) Rhone-Poulenc and its competitors,” Yves Haddad told AFP.

Mas met with AFSSAPS representatives on Monday for the first time since the scandal broke, Haddad later told AFP.

“He met with AFSSAPS representatives for three hours without police,” Haddad said, calling it “an event that should calm people down.” He did not provide details.

Implant wearers’ lawyer Courtois called for tests to be carried out on implants sold abroad, after British media revealed that rupture rates on the PIP products were seven times higher than previously thought.

“The mix (of ingredients) could vary depending on the deliveries,” he said.

It also emerged on Monday that workers at PIP’s sales department sent each other emails indicating they knew there was a problem with the implants’ shells as early as 2005.

“Another one! Another breakage of the shell from a 2003 implant… Still no explanation?” read one of the emails obtained by AFP.

“How can it be that on opening a box the surgeon finds a hole (in the implant), and therefore a gel leak?”, “If a shell problem were to erupt, you can imagine what would happen,” implant salespeople wrote.

“Sales are more important than what the shells are made of,” replied a PIP marketing boss.

Based in the south of France, PIP was shut down and its products banned in 2010 after it was revealed to have been using industrial-grade silicone gel that caused abnormally high rupture rates.

It is alleged that the company improvised its own ingredients when it faced financial difficulties.

Between 300,000 and 400,000 women in 65 countries from Europe to Latin America have implants made with the sub-standard gel.

France last month advised 30,000 women to have their PIP implants removed because of an increased risk of rupture, although officials have said there is no proven cancer risk.


Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

HEALTH

France brings in free contraception for all women aged 18-25

Free birth control for all women under 25 will be available in France from Saturday, expanding a scheme targeting under-18s to ensure young women don't stop taking contraception because they cannot afford it.

France brings in free contraception for all women aged 18-25
A doctor holds an interuterine contraceptive device (IUD) before inserting it in a patient. Photo: Adek Berry/AFP

The scheme, which could benefit three million women, covers the pill, IUDs, contraceptive patches and other methods composed of steroid hormones. Contraception for minors was already free in France.

Several European countries, including Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and Norway, make contraception free for teens. Britain makes several forms of contraception free to all.

France announced the extension to women under 25 in September, saying surveys showed a decline in the use of contraception mainly for financial reasons.

The move is part of a series of measures taken by President Emmanuel Macron’s government to boost women’s rights and alleviate youth poverty. The free provision is supported by women’s groups including the association En Avant Tous.

“Between 18 and 25-years-old, women are very vulnerable because they lose a lot of rights compared to when they were minors and are very precarious economically,” spokeswoman Louise Delavier told AFP.

Leslie Fonquerne, an expert in gender issues, said there was more to be done.

“This measure in no way resolves the imbalance in the contraceptive burden between women and men,” the sociologist said.

In some developed countries, the free contraception won by women after decades of campaigning is coming under attack again from the religious right.

In the United States, former president Barack Obama’s signature health reform, known as Obamacare, gave most people with health insurance free access to birth control.

But his successor Donald Trump scrapped the measure, allowing employers to opt out of providing contraception coverage on religious grounds — a decision upheld by the Supreme Court in 2020.

Poland’s conservative government has also heavily restricted access to emergency contraception as part of its war on birth control.

SHOW COMMENTS