A man was being questioned on Sunday night in connection with the murder of an eight-year old girl who went missing on Saturday in the southern town of Bellegarde.

"/> A man was being questioned on Sunday night in connection with the murder of an eight-year old girl who went missing on Saturday in the southern town of Bellegarde.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man held over murder of eight-year-old

A man was being questioned on Sunday night in connection with the murder of an eight-year old girl who went missing on Saturday in the southern town of Bellegarde.

Radio station Europe 1 reported that the man was a neighbour of the dead girl’s parents in the small town situated south-east of the city of Nîmes.

The girl, called Océane, went missing on Saturday evening. Her body was found on Sunday morning just two to three kilometres from her family home.

Public prosecutor Robert Gelli told a press conference on Sunday she had been stabbed.

“It’s not possible to say at this moment whether she was sexually assaulted,” he told journalists. “We’ll have to wait for the results of the autopsy.”

The alarm was raised by the girl’s parents on Saturday evening after she failed to return from a trip to visit a friend who lived nearby.

Forty police officers were involved in a search through the night for the girl which was made more difficult by the torrential rain that has been falling in the region for several days.

Her body was eventually found on Sunday at around 10.30am by one of the 300 people who had responded to a call for volunteers to help with the search. 

Local newspaper Midi Libre reported on Monday that she had been stabbed four times.

twitter.com/matthew_warren

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

French police seize 2.4 tonnes of cannabis near Bordeaux

France’s Economy Minister has praised the work of Bordeaux law officers, after they seized more than 2.4 tonnes of cannabis resin with an estimated street value in excess of €19 million.

French police seize 2.4 tonnes of cannabis near Bordeaux

Bruno Le Maire and Minister Delegate in charge of Public Accounts Gabriel Attal in a joint statement: “Once again, Customs distinguished itself with an exceptional seizure of cannabis, recalling its key role in the fight against drug trafficking. We congratulate the customs officers for their daily commitment to the protection of our fellow citizens.”

Two people were taken into custody after officers stopped a lorry from Spain on the A63, near the Saugnac-et-Muret toll area, just south of Bordeaux, on Monday.

According to Le Figaro, the drugs were hidden in side compartments of the lorry, and concealed by its stated load of wheat, and were discovered by a sniffer dog during the stop.

In total, 2,414.8kg of cannabis resin and 9.75kg of cannabis herb were intercepted by the Bordeaux brigade, with an estimated value of more than €19 million on the illicit market.

Since the end of July, 2022, Customs officials have seized nearly 73 tonnes of drugs, including 41.2 tonnes of cannabis.

The French drugs squad is now investigating to determine the point of origin of the drugs, as well as their destination and the crime network behind the smuggling attempt.

SHOW COMMENTS