A wealthy hotel owner and art collector was found dead in his smart Parisian villa on Tuesday morning after being shot three times in the neck.

"/> A wealthy hotel owner and art collector was found dead in his smart Parisian villa on Tuesday morning after being shot three times in the neck.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Millionaire hotel magnate murdered in Paris home

A wealthy hotel owner and art collector was found dead in his smart Parisian villa on Tuesday morning after being shot three times in the neck.

76-year-old Claude Dray lived with his wife, Simone, in the wealthy western suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine where Nicolas Sarkozy was mayor for 19 years. 

He was found dead in his home, the Villa Madrid, a listed building. His wife was travelling in the US at the time.

Dray was last seen alive at around 11pm on Monday evening by his butler, reported Le Parisien newspaper. 

Some time between then and the next morning he was shot three times. His body was found by his butler in his bedroom.

The newspaper reported that police found no evidence of a break-in or signs of a struggle at the luxurious home. 

“We haven’t yet established whether there was a burglary at the house,” said a police source quoted by the newspaper. “The weapon has not yet been found.”

Le Parisien reported that Dray had been the object of threats and attempted extortion in 2009. Investigators will reopen the files to see whether there is a link.

“At the moment it’s impossible to say whether this was some kind of score settling or a burglary that went wrong,” said the source.

Dray was born in Algeria in 1935 and launched his first company in the 1960s. He owned the famous Hôtel de Paris in the glitzy southern resort of Saint-Tropez and was in the process of renovating it for a grand opening in 2012. Dray also owned the National Hotel in Miami and the Pearl Hotel in Jerusalem as well as a chain of perfume stores.

Le Figaro spoke to some of the well-heeled residents of the neighbourhood where Dray lived.

“He was very discreet, as we all are round here,” said one.

“You know, in this area, we don’t see each other, we don’t pass each other and it’s fine like that,” said another.

twitter.com/matthew_warren

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

POLITICS

French justice minister faces trial on conflict of interest charge

France's justice minister has been ordered to stand trial in a conflict of interest case that has embarrassed President Emmanuel Macron's government, his lawyers said on Monday.

French justice minister faces trial on conflict of interest charge

His lawyers said they had immediately lodged an appeal to block the move.

Eric Dupond-Moretti, a former star defence lawyer, was last year charged with misusing his position to settle scores with opponents from his legal career, becoming the first sitting French justice minister to be charged in a legal probe.

The accusations relate to administrative inquiries into three judges. The three had ordered police in 2014 to pore through the phone records of dozens of lawyers and magistrates, including Dupond-Moretti, as part of an investigation into former president Nicolas Sarkozy.

The judiciary accused Dupond-Moretti of a witch-hunt.

He denied the allegations, saying he was merely acting on the recommendations of his staff to investigate possible mistakes by the magistrates who oversaw the seizures of the phone records.

The order to stand trial was issued by the investigation commission of the Law Court of the Republic in Paris (CJR), which hears cases of alleged wrongdoing by serving ministers.

But his lawyers, Christophe Ingrain and Remi Lorrain, said they had already appealed against the move.

“The order no longer exists,” they told reporters as they exited the CJR building.

Dupond-Moretti was not present.

SHOW COMMENTS