SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Football star arrested for attempted murder

Former France international footballer Tony Vairelles has been arrested, along with three others, on suspicion of attempted murder following a shooting in a nightclub in the early hours of Sunday morning, police sources said on Monday.

Football star arrested for attempted murder
Anthony Herodet (File)

Three bouncers were injured after the shooting, which took place outside the nightclub on the outskirts of the eastern French city of Nancy.

According to police, Vairelles, 38, was part of a group that was thrown out of the nightspot in Essey-les-Nancy at around 3am for drunken behaviour.

The group then returned to the venue and used baseball bats to attack door staff, who responded by spraying tear gas, before one man opened fire on security personnel with a 22 calibre rifle.

One person was wounded in the thigh, another in the hand, while a third man suffered more serious injuries to the side, although his life is not thought to be in danger.

Five men were arrested on Sunday morning, with one later being released.

Vairelles and the others — one of whom is Vairelles’ brother — were remanded in custody and will appear in court on Tuesday, the same police source said.

Vairelles was born in Nancy, and went on to star for local side AS Nancy, before notable spells with both Lens and Lyon.

He won the French title with Lens in 1998 and with Lyon in 2003, and won eight caps for France.

Vairelles later became the majority shareholder at third-tier club Gueugnon, who went into liquidation earlier this year.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FOOTBALL

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage

French prosecutors on Friday called for a 15-year prison sentence for one of two Russians accused of beating a British supporter during Euro 2016, an attack that left him with brain injuries.

French prosecutors demand jail term for Russian accused of leaving England football fan with brain damage
Russian fans light flares at the match against England in 2016.. Photo: AFP

One prosecutor, Christophe Raffin, asked for the “legal maximum… between 14 and 15 years” for Pavel Kossov, who is accused of throwing the first punch at 55-year-old Andrew Bache.

Bache was injured in the violence that broke out before England played Russia in the southern French port city of Marseille on June 11th, 2016.

The second Russian on trial in Aix-en-Provence, Mikhail Ivkine, stands accused of throwing a chair at the victim, with prosecutors asking for a potential suspended sentence of up to five years.

He has claimed he was defending himself.

“No, it wasn't legitimate self-defence, it was illegitimate use of force against Andrew Bache,” Raffin said of the violence.

 

Police give emergency aid to Andrew Bache following clashes in the city of Marseille. Photo: AFP

The prosecutors said the Russians were part of a group of about 150 men, many with martial arts training, who wrought havoc in Marseille.

Bache, from Portsmouth in southern England, has no memory of the events and is too frail to attend the trial.

His son Harry, who nurses his father, is representing him in court.

SHOW COMMENTS