The man arrested on suspicion of being responsible for the death of an Indian man on the Paris metro has been giving his version of events.

"/> The man arrested on suspicion of being responsible for the death of an Indian man on the Paris metro has been giving his version of events.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘I acted in self-defence’: metro death suspect

The man arrested on suspicion of being responsible for the death of an Indian man on the Paris metro has been giving his version of events.

Police picked up 23-year-old Mohamed F on Tuesday, following a hunt that began after the death of Rajinder Singh on Thursday September 29th.

Reports said that Mr Singh went to the aid of a young woman who was being mugged by the 23-year-old on a metro train. The two became involved in a scuffle which spilled onto the platform at the Crimée station. This ended with Singh falling onto the tracks where he was electrocuted.

The suspect’s lawyer, Augustin D’Ollone, said in an interview with newspaper 20 Minutes on Friday that his client denied pushing Mr Singh, who was known to his friends as Babu, and that he had been acting in self-defence.

“He took the metro at Stalingrad,” said D’Ollone. “He offered some sweets to some young tourists who declined while laughing. Then he played with his keys, which annoyed Babu.”

At this point, there was only a verbal exchange, according to the lawyer. However, Mohamed decided to get off the train at Crimée because “Babu was becoming aggressive.”

Once on the platform, the lawyer claims the video surveillance footage shows “Babu, followed by five or six Indian friends, coming towards Mohamed” and then “manhandling” him. 

“He stops, then comes back and grabs him and pushes him to the ground. Mohamed picks himself up, defends himself and pushes him. Babu then steps backward, loses his balance and falls onto the tracks.”

The lawyer also claims that Mohamed did not try to steal a phone from anyone, which had originally been reported as the source of the dispute. Police are continuing to look for the young woman who was supposedly the victim of the attempted robbery.

twitter.com/matthew_warren

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

French court convicts 8 for stealing Banksy from Paris terror attack site

A French court on Thursday convicted eight men for the theft and handling of a Banksy painting paying homage to the victims of the 2015 attack on the Bataclan concert hall in Paris.

French court convicts 8 for stealing Banksy from Paris terror attack site

Three men in their 30s who admitted to the 2019 theft were given prison sentences, one of four years and two of three, although they will be able to serve them wearing electronic tracking bracelets rather than behind bars.

Another man, a 41-year-old millionaire lottery winner and street art fan accused of being the mastermind of the heist, was given three years in jail for handling stolen goods after judges found the main allegation unproven. His sentence will also be served with a bracelet.

Elsewhere in the capital, the defence was making its final arguments in the trial of the surviving suspects in the 2015 Paris attacks themselves, with a verdict expected on June 29.

‘Acted like vultures’ 

British street artist Banksy painted his “sad girl” stencil on the metal door of the Bataclan in memory of the 90 people killed there on November 13th, 2015.

A white van with concealed number-plates was seen stopping on January 26, 2019 in an alleyway running alongside the central Paris music venue.

Many concertgoers fled via the same alley when the Bataclan became the focal point of France’s worst ever attacks since World War II, as Islamic State group jihadists killed 130 people at a string of sites across the capital.

On the morning of the theft, three masked men climbed out of the van, cut the hinges with angle grinders powered by a generator and left within 10 minutes, in what an investigating judge called a “meticulously prepared” heist.

Prosecutor Valerie Cadignan told the court earlier this month that the perpetrators had not sought to debase the memory of the attack victims, but “being aware of the priceless value of the door were looking to make a profit”.

She said the thieves “acted like vultures, like people who steal objects without any respect for what they might represent”.

During the trial, Bataclan staff said the theft sparked “deep indignation”, adding that the painted door was a “symbol of remembrance that belongs to everyone, locals, Parisians, citizens of the world”.

Investigators pieced together the door’s route across France and into Italy, where it was found in June 2020 on a farm in Sant’Omero, near the Adriatic coast.

Three men involved in transporting the door were each jailed for 10 months, while a 58-year-old Italian man who owns a hotel where it was temporarily stored received a six-month suspended sentence.

SHOW COMMENTS