SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Frenchwoman’s body ‘found’ in Malaysia

Malaysian police said Tuesday they had found human remains believed to be those of a 30-year-old French woman who was last seen three months ago on a resort island.

Stephanie Foray, a 30-year-old civil servant, had arrived in Malaysia on May 5 and went missing shortly after taking a ferry five days later to Tioman island off the east coast of peninsular Malaysia, according to Malaysian media.

Police last week said they had arrested two Malaysian men over her disappearance.

Johari Jahaya, chief of the police district with jurisdiction over Tioman, told AFP that police discovered the skeletal remains on the island on Monday.

“I can confirm that we have found a skeleton on the island and we are now getting a DNA test to see if it is actually that of the French woman,” he said, declining further comment.

The New Straits Times newspaper quoted T. Narenasegaran, head of criminal investigations for Pahang state, of which Tioman is part, as saying the remains had been buried in a cave.

Police were led to the site by one of the two detained suspects.

“We then found some clothes which we believe were Foray’s before the suspect pointed to the spot where the remains were buried,” he told the paper.

“After digging for about four hours, and at a depth of about three metres, we found a mattress. Below it were the remains. The skeletal remains were intact,” he said.

Foray left France in November last year on a holiday that took her to India and Sri Lanka before she arrived in Malaysia.

Her family lost contact with her three days later, with the French embassy subsequently putting out a missing persons alert. Embassy officials have declined comment on the case.

The New Straits Times previously reported the two men arrested were the 44-year-old owner of a Tioman chalet and his cousin.

CRIME

How France plans to prevents youngsters accessing online pornography

France is set to announce new measures this week to prevent youngsters from accessing porn websites, in the latest round of a years-long struggle to protect children from explicit material.

How France plans to prevents youngsters accessing online pornography

“I plan to put an end to this scandal,” Digital Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot told the Parisien newspaper on Monday.

France’s data protection and media regulators Cnil and Arcom are set to announce their latest proposals to rein in porn websites which are in theory subject to a 2020 law requiring age verification.

Previous attempts have been held up by privacy and technical concerns, as well as court action by the websites.

To its frustration last September, a Paris court ordered Arcom to enter into mediation with several porn websites including market leader Pornhub, holding up efforts to block them.

READ MORE: France hits Google and Facebook with huge fines over ‘cookies’

Under the new proposal, people wanting to access explicit material will need to download a phone application that provides them with a digital certificate and code, the Parisien reported.

The code will be needed to access a porn website under a system “which will work a bit like the checks from your bank when you buy something online,” Barrot told the newspaper.

“2023 will mark the end of our children accessing pornographic sites,” he added.

President Emmanuel Macron, who is married to former school teacher Brigitte Macron, promised to make protecting children from porn a priority during his bid for re-election last year.

In November, he launched the Children Online Protection Laboratory, an initiative that aims to bring together industry giants and researchers to look for ways to shield minors online.

In September last year, a report entitled “Hell Behind the Scenes” by French senators concluded that there was “massive, ordinary and toxic” viewing of porn by children.

The report found that two thirds of children aged 15 or less had seen pornographic content.

The French production industry has been roiled by a series of sexual assault cases in recent years in which women have come forward to allege rape, mistreatment and manipulation by directors and fellow actors.

SHOW COMMENTS