"/> " />
SHARE
COPY LINK

AFGHANISTAN

French minister backs soldier, voices sorrow at 3 Afghan dead

France's defence minister on Wednesday said a soldier acted in self-defence when he opened fire on a car at a roadblock in Afghanistan and voiced "deep sorrow" at the deaths of three civilians.

“It was a car that refused to stop at a checkpoint in spite of repeated warnings, and was in effect the target of a defensive shooting, as is the rule,” Gerard Longuet said on a visit to Rome.

Three Afghan civilians — a man, a woman and a child — were shot dead and three wounded when a French soldier opened fire on their vehicle in Kapisa province, north of the capital on Tuesday night, the French military and the Afghan presidency said.

Expressing “deep sorrow for the victims”, the minister underlined the incident happened in an area under military control that frequently saw attempted suicide attacks with cars trying to ram into soldiers.

“We are saddened by this misunderstanding that could have been avoided if the car had respected the security rules that apply to each Afghan citizen stopped at a roadblock,” Longuet said.

The minister was in Rome for talks with his Italian counterpart Ignazio La Russa.

A suicide attack in the Tagab valley of Kapisa killed five French soldiers on July 13th.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim’s x-ray

A Paris court on Wednesday convicted a surgeon for trying to sell an X-Ray image of a wounded arm of a woman who survived the 2015 terror attacks in the French capital.

Surgeon fined for trying to sell Paris terror attack victim's x-ray

Found guilty of violating medical secrecy, renowned orthopaedic surgeon Emmanuel Masmejean must pay the victim €5,000 or face two months in jail, judges ordered.

Masmejean, who works at the Georges-Pompidou hospital in western Paris, posted the image of a young woman’s forearm penetrated by a Kalashnikov bullet on marketplace Opensea in late 2021.

The site allows its roughly 20 million users to trade non-fungible tokens (NFTs) – certificates of ownership of an artwork that are stored on a “blockchain” similar to the technology used to secure cryptocurrencies.

In the file’s description, the surgeon wrote that the young woman he had operated on had “lost her boyfriend in the attack” on the Bataclan concert hall, the focus of the November 2015 gun and bomb assault in which jihadists killed 130 people.

The X-Ray image never sold for the asking price of $2,776, and was removed from Opensea after being revealed by investigative website Mediapart in January.

Masmejean claimed at a September court hearing that he had been carrying out an “experiment” by putting a “striking and historic medical image” online – while acknowledging that it had been “idiocy, a mistake, a blunder”.

The court did not find him guilty of two further charges of abuse of personal data and illegally revealing harmful personal information.

Nor was he barred from practicing as prosecutors had urged, with the lead judge saying it would be “disproportionate and inappropriate” to inflict such a “social death” on the doctor.

The victim’s lawyer Elodie Abraham complained of a “politically correct” judgement.

“It doesn’t bother anyone that there’s been such a flagrant breach of medical secrecy. It’s not a good message for doctors,” Abraham said.

Neither Masmejean, who has been suspended from his hospital job, nor the victim were present for Wednesday’s ruling.

The surgeon may yet face professional consequences after appearing before the French medical association in September, his lawyer Ivan Terel said.

SHOW COMMENTS