A man dressed as a security guard helped himself to a Lyon casino's safe on Tuesday.

 

"/> A man dressed as a security guard helped himself to a Lyon casino's safe on Tuesday.

 

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Casino takings stolen as employees look on

 

A man dressed as a security guard helped himself to a Lyon casino's safe on Tuesday.

 

To those working at Le Pharaon casino, the arrival of a security guard late on Tuesday morning seemed completely normal. 

 

Only one employee thought it odd that he was on his own and alerted his bosses. By then, the security guard had made off with 370,000 euros of the casino’s receipts, according to police. Casino managers claimed the amount was less.

 

The deputy manager of the casino, Arnaud Mourndjan, told AFP the thief was armed with all the necessary keys. “There are several needed, one to get into the building then at least two more to open the safe. He must have had them as the police have not seen any sign of a forced entry.”

 

Investigators are looking into the possibility of an inside job. “We can’t confirm he had inside help, but he certainly knew the casino very well and had all the necessary keys to get the money.”

 

The casino is owned by the Partouche Group and operates 47 casinos in France. Le Pharaon was the target of another robbery in April 2010 when five armed men stole several thousands of euros.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

How France plans to prevents youngsters accessing online pornography

France is set to announce new measures this week to prevent youngsters from accessing porn websites, in the latest round of a years-long struggle to protect children from explicit material.

How France plans to prevents youngsters accessing online pornography

“I plan to put an end to this scandal,” Digital Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot told the Parisien newspaper on Monday.

France’s data protection and media regulators Cnil and Arcom are set to announce their latest proposals to rein in porn websites which are in theory subject to a 2020 law requiring age verification.

Previous attempts have been held up by privacy and technical concerns, as well as court action by the websites.

To its frustration last September, a Paris court ordered Arcom to enter into mediation with several porn websites including market leader Pornhub, holding up efforts to block them.

READ MORE: France hits Google and Facebook with huge fines over ‘cookies’

Under the new proposal, people wanting to access explicit material will need to download a phone application that provides them with a digital certificate and code, the Parisien reported.

The code will be needed to access a porn website under a system “which will work a bit like the checks from your bank when you buy something online,” Barrot told the newspaper.

“2023 will mark the end of our children accessing pornographic sites,” he added.

President Emmanuel Macron, who is married to former school teacher Brigitte Macron, promised to make protecting children from porn a priority during his bid for re-election last year.

In November, he launched the Children Online Protection Laboratory, an initiative that aims to bring together industry giants and researchers to look for ways to shield minors online.

In September last year, a report entitled “Hell Behind the Scenes” by French senators concluded that there was “massive, ordinary and toxic” viewing of porn by children.

The report found that two thirds of children aged 15 or less had seen pornographic content.

The French production industry has been roiled by a series of sexual assault cases in recent years in which women have come forward to allege rape, mistreatment and manipulation by directors and fellow actors.

SHOW COMMENTS